• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

weber sidedrafts - will these work?

rctid

For the weber sidedraft guys: I have a pair of crusty 40DCOE sidedrafts i'm looking at reviving. Carbs are marked as TIPO 40DCOE44 and 40DCOE45, made in italy. From what I can tell, they came from an Alfa 1600. will these carbs work with the 2l displacement? I'm probably going to do a single sidedraft setup, and I'm guessing re-jetting. I've heard the different type DCOE had different locations for the progression holes, and might not work for other applications. Anyone know?

i know i am, i'm sure i am...

There are hoary old tales of the Alfa progression holes just not working right

for a 2002.

But since there's almost NOTHING you have to do to revive a DCOE short

of a good cleaning and maybe shaft seals,

try it.

Take a pic of the progression holes if you can- it would be kinda cool

to start a progression hole gallery.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Well I tore into the carbs this week, they were C-R-U-S-T-Y. Rebuild kits on the way, well see if I can get this thing to run. I'll be running this on totally stock motor with a single side-draft manifold. I'm hoping the initial jetting will work with some tweaking:

Chokes: 36

Mains: 140

Airs: 200

Emulsion Tubes: F16

Idle: 55F8

Pump: 45

These carbs are also equipped with air by-pass, connects a vent in the choke to a vent downstream from the throttle plates. not sure what to do with them as far as tuning, seems like I could just seal it off.

Attached are pics of the progression holes and the air by-pass

post-611-13667667388212_thumb.jpg

post-611-13667667389766_thumb.jpg

Nice pic of the progression drilling!

The idle bypasses are a GREAT tool to adjust where your carb butterflies sit at idle.

AND the progressions will expect you to use them.

What they do is allow you to move where the progressions start to get

uncovered. So if you have a lean spot right off idle, you can close the

air bypasses a bit and open the throttles slightly- then the progression

comes in sooner.

But if it bogs from too much fuel, you can open the air bypass, close the

throttle plate a touch, and then the progression holes will come in just

a bit later.

It's pretty cool. And easier to get a good idle/ off idle transition. AND you can set individual cylinders differently, if you need, carb manufacturing tolerances being what they are...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

interesting, I'll have to play around with it once I get it set up. I'll have to drill the chokes out too, since they don't have holes to match the air bypass ports. From what I've read, everyone says it's just for synchronizing the barrels at idle and can be closed. But if I can adjust the progression advance as well (makes sense), then they are a lot more useful. I'll report back with my findings...

yeah, I'm surprised they have the ports with numbers that low-

the 45's don't get those 'till much later.

But the set of 45's that I have with them was much easier

to fuss out at idle than I thought it would be. Took time, but

responded to reason, if that makes sense...

t