johnny02

Overhaul of a 1976 Chamonix from NM.

6 posts / 1597 viewsLast Reply

You can see all of the gory details at the blog I will attempt to keep running and up-to-date: www.chamonix-2002.blogspot.com.

I have been lurking on the board since I bought the car in 2005. I may have even posted a few times. Minor details have interrupted my time here (grad school, wedding, baby, blah blah blah).

At any rate, at this point these project blogs seem to be a dime a dozen, but at some point I might come up with something unique to share. I am dismantling the car to the best of my (limited) ability and will send the rolling shell out when it gets there to have rust repaired and new paint.

I will re-learn how to post pics and update shortly.

Well, I read that tasty little post about adding pictures and now here are some.

DSC_0905.jpg

DSC_0940.jpg

DSC_0943.jpg

DSC_0905.jpg

Did some more tar stripping today. Used a heat gun to help. First I was using a 1" chisel/scraper, but then I started using the awl/pick that you see below. That thing worked great on its own.

DSC_0973_zps8300fb52.jpg

My new favorite tool.

DSC_0970_zpsb143497e.jpg

What I found as I removed more tar. Does not seem to extend past this point and it is not nearly as bad on the passenger side.

ah, yes......the curse of the '76 driver's side rust! hang in there.....you'll get there. i have one too. one piece a day.......of rust replacement, that is! one panel at a time!

good luck!

hendi!

dry ice is generally a more efficient way of removing insulating tar, it freezes it solid and can be chipped off in chunks.

good luck with the project!