• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Type of choke

Guest Anonymous

If there is a wire running to it (or it has an electrical connector sticking out of it that does not have a wire on it) it is an electrical choke. If it has 2 water hoses hooked up to it (or 2 hose barbs sticking out of the choke housing without hoses) it is a water heated choke. The choke housing is the round thing sticking out of the passenger side of the carburetor.

http://www.webercarbsdirect.com/32_36_DGAV_p/22680.051b.htm (water)

http://www.webercarbsdirect.com/32_36_DGEV_p/22680.033b.htm (electric)

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

Guest Anonymous

Preyupy, on the passenger side of my Weber are (1) two hose barbs both pointing to the firewall and (2) a male tab, electrical connector. Is it possible that I can use either one?

Another question: If I use the water aspect of the choke, where do the hoses connect at the other end?

Thanks!!

Fran

It'd be more-than-difficult to have both types of chokes on that (your) Weber carb....

The electrical connection you're seeing is likely a shut-off soleniod (valve) on the idle jet (it closes the idle jet as soon as ignition is turned off, to prevent fuel from entering carb). -KB

I agree with Kmb02 I'll bet the electrical connector is the idle jet shut off. The water runs from a fitting at the back of the block right below the #4 intake runner to the carb and then from the other fitting on the carb to the pipe running under the manifold to the waterpump (runs under the alternator) The electric choke is a lot easier to deal with, Personally I would rather have a manual choke and use the cable like the early BMW carbs did.

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

EITHER A PHOTO of the choke side of the carb

or

tell us the carb model number stamped

on the boss at the base of the carb

like: 32/36 DGAV (A=aqua-water choke)

WEBERCARBTYPECHART.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m