• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Slave cylinder bleeding

todd.prout

C D is right on with the pressure bleeder but I know some people are on a budget. Another option is a speed bleeder sold on ebay. Just make sure you purchase the correct one. The ones for calipers are a little larger.

I have heard all the crazy stories for years that people could not bleed their slave cylinder without taking it off and turning it upside down. Do you really believe that BMW would design it that way, no way that is a bunch of crap. In all my years of owning BMWs I have never had a problem and as a matter of fact it has not been three weeks since I installed one on my e30 which uses the same one that you have on your car. All I did was install the slave cylinder and let it gravity bleed for a couple of minutes then screw the bleeder in. Pump your pedal five or six times easy and then open your bleederfor a second. Do this three times and you should have a good firm pedal. No need asking for help do it by yourself. Check yor reservoir. Good luck.

I made a pressure bleeder a few years ago out of a cheap plastic garden sprayer and an old reservoir cap. I think the only thing I had to buy was a brass fitting that I put through the cap to attach the hose. No pressure gauge like C.D.'s, so I guess there is the risk of popping the rubber grommet connections on the top of the MC, but I've used it dozens of times with no problems so far. I did a full system bleed a few months ago after a front and rear subframe transplant and couldn't believe the green foam that came out of my slave cyl. Amazing it was working at all. No problem at all getting the slave or anything else bled with the homemade pressure bleeder.

'71 02 - parts car with not many parts left

'73 02 - weekend toy and money pit

'74 04 - sold in '91

'03 325iT - for trips and bad weather

'03 50cc Honda Scooter - for my 2 mile commute

'06 50cc Honda scooter - wife's commuter