• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AC CONSOLE

PAPAGALLO

HELLO FRIENDS

I am installing a Hurricane 2000 unit in my 02.I want to use an original console.Can anyone be so kind and tell me the width and depth of the Frigiking,Behr ,and Clardy console?I will very much appreciate it.Thank you in advance.

p.s. If you have such ac console for sale please email me.Thank you.

I bought the Hurricane 2000 test-fit box. It arrived just before I left town on business. I did a quick test-fit and while it did fit between the transmission hump, the dash, and the firewall, the dash, it hits a bracket that holds one of the under-dash panels. See this post:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,0/page,viewtopic/t,377592/highlight,/sid,f5b4875692967d14d2e6bccbb7f850b6/

Removing the bracket isn't the end of the world but it gave me pause about going forward with the installation.

Regarding the console question, the car I'm putting it in had a Behr console, which I've always thought is the nicest looking of the three (Behr, Fridge King, Clardy). I have not yet measured, but it's my assumption that the Behr is too narrow. The Clardy may be wide enough, but I don't have one to measure.

Have you already bought the 2000?

--Rob

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

I did pull my heater box, as you'll see in the thread whose link I have above. The 2000 WILL sit on the transmission hump but it hits that little dash bracket.

It'll be interesting to see which one of us drags this over the "yes it'll work but here are the issues" line first. If someone else could prove to me that the standard dash cables can be hooked up to the box, and that a console will fit around it (my guess is that only the Clardy will stand a chance), I'd order the full unit, but not knowing those two things, I only have the mockup and am on the fence about moving forward.

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

Well, about the heater box since we really do not need heat down here I may bypass the heater .Heater cables are not too much of an issue:but if the heater can be installed I will .Any console with a clearance of 13 inches or more should work.When my AC tech installs it I will tell of any issues he might encounter.I live on a tropical island so AC install and repair is done on an everyday basis and the techs are very knowledgeble.