• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replacement head gasket question

Napes

At least at AutohausAZ I see two different thicknesses of head gaskets being offered.

Which one you need depends on whether any head work was done or not (shaving, I presume). I do not know the answer to this. Eric Kerman built my engine 4 years ago and I do not know how to contact him these days.

Is it possible to simply measure the existing gasket when we get the head off in order to know which to order? AutohausAZ lists a 1.50mm and a 1.80mm one - the later for "reworked heads requiring addtional head gasket thickness."

Bob Napier

You're better off measuring the HEAD thickness, not the gasket. If you have the factory blue repair manual, it will list original thickness as well as permissible machining / tolerances for "shaving" the head. I imagine cd will pipe up here with a nice factory page for you with this info. Kerman may have used a "cutting ring" head gasket (generally very reliable), and as I've been told - these bite in to the head and require the head to be resurfaced before reinstallation with a new gasket.

What caused the head gasket failure? Seems suspicious! He built some pretty tough motors and this isn't a failure I'd expect.

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com