• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with 4 ways and turn signal

trumanwoll

90% of the time, it's a failing / failed hazard switch. BMW changed these somewhere between 72 and 73 (I'm too lazy to run the VIN range now in my books) , with the later ones illuminating when the headlights are on. See if you can find a suitable one to swap / test with! You can also check / wiggle the turn signal/hazard relay located just above/near the hood release lever. It's clipped to the metal kick panel. Says "4 x 21w" on it somewhere.

My money's on hazard switch. All signal power runs through it and this is a common failure mode.

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

It's a bit of a PITA to remove the switch. A fairly small repair I generally dread. I'd recommend pulling the console toward the rear seat to access it. Do you have AC in this car? What year is the car?

Without AC, you can lift up on the "floor" of the console to reveal a screw holding the console to the tunnel/carpet, just ahead of the shifter surround. Lift up the handbrake lever for room, and slide the console rearward. The switch is held in place by a plastic round collar nut, easily twisted by hand.

With AC, you need to remove the driver's side vertical panel and PRAY the face plate edge doesn't crumble to dust where the screws go in. Then you can get your fingers (or tweezers) and unscrew the plastic nut collar holding the switch in place. (Assembling a fragile cracking AC console / face plate is akin to duct taping a roll of wet toilet paper back together.)

Tach is probably a loose wire on the back of the gauges or loose wire going to the ignition system. The gauges themselves in my experience, rarely fail.

Paul Wegweiser

mine quites on a fairly regular basis because the dizzy is positioned so there's a strain on the tach wire where it fastens to the distributor. Those flexible engine mounts let the engine move enough to pull the tach wire off its terminal. Check that first, it's the easiest, as tachs rarely fail.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Guest Anonymous

this thread has taken some weird twists. If you are concerned about your turn signals, the relay is, as stated above, by the hood release lever and easy to access. There is lots of stuff in the FAQ about testing and replacing the unit.

I have both the re-issued white parts book binders *and* an old original orange parts book. Both show the following notation for hazard switch....which is plain useless. (they say before and after chassis numbers...but don't list the numbers! *urgh!*

I'm pretty certain you have the later type in your 73. Does it glow when the headlights are on, normally? (before this failure at least?)

BMW Part numbers for the 72-76 era switches

61 31 1 355 358 ---->Fg (chassis Nr)

61 31 1 356 193 Fg (chassis Nr) ---->

HTH!

Paul Wegweiser