• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

oil change .... got the blues

OriginalOwner

So I finally work up the energy to change the oil. Get everything ready to go. The difference is I'm at my dad's house, not my house, so I don't have the 19mm box end wrench I've been using for 30+ years. So I grab an adjustable wrench instead ...... and start rounding corners on the drain plug. Fortunately I was smart enough to stop before I ruined everything.

Anyway, I'll be back home tomorrow and I have all the right tools, of whatever variety, to get the drain plug removed. And I'll go buy a new drain plug.

Some days it just ain't worth the effort to work up the energy to do the right thing.

Cheers,

Carl

A beautiful SoCal day and an excellent cruise back home: 118 east to the 210 to the 57 to the 60 to Chino ..... lunch with friends at my favorite place, Centro Basco .... then Carbon Canyon (Hwy 142) to Brea and to home. 98 miles total. light traffic, and the '74 tii just hummed right along.

I crawled under the car with "Jaws" ..... my 10" pipe wrench. Nothing can resist Jaws. I don't know what I did last time I changed oil, but it sure seemed like I had tightened that drain plug to 250 ft-lbs. It wasn't stuck, but it sure was tight. And lots of grit in the threads, it was really grinding when being removed.

And this time I used a new copper sealing washer, the old aluminum one was quite flat and deformed.

Cheers,

Carl