• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ignition issues possibly due to timing, advice please?

mackenzie242

I am fairly new to 2002s, I have a '76 that I bought about a month ago and it hasn't run since I bought it so forgive me if I am asking stupid questions. The car died on me when I was driving it home from buying it. I found that the problem was with the distributor points so I replaced the points with pertronix. The car still will not start, however, I at least know I am getting spark because when I try to start it it backfires and flames shoot up from the carb. Could this be due to very bad timing and premature ignition of air/fuel? That's about the only explanation I could think of, any ideas/advice for dealing with this problem would be greatly appreciated!

have you tried rotating your distributor to see if your timing is just too slow? id try that.

when I put in electric ignition in my 71 I put the disty back in 180 degrees off. car wouldn't start till I rotated it around.

goodluck.

1971- 02-Malaga -(Ginger)- 2nd owner

1973-02- chamonix (sold)

pardon any grammatical errors in my posts, im probably on my cell phone.

You probably did not install the Petronix in the right spot. You have to position it so it is triggering as the rotor hits a terminal in the distributor cap, or close to it. You should make sure it is timed right after you do this. You should be able to turn the distributor a little til you get it to start then time it with a light with the ball appearring in the window of the bellhousing at 1500 rpm

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder,    2004 BMW R1150RT,  
76 Estorilblau 2740318