• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 1600 found in storage after 21 years

Mikepelly

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice Mike!

An early sunroof car and a clean foundation to bring back.

Granada is a great color when new and buffed out.

Recommend pulling the door glass and vent window assemblies

before paint. Also remove the pedal box and all associated

parts. That will allow the best work by the painter. You are so

close now it worth the extra time to get it completely disassembled.

Keep up the good work!

R

Parts inquiries: 2002haussales@gmail.com FAQ Supporting Vendor  www.2002haus.com www.bmw2002registry.com  Free Your Mind - Remove the Chains and Think 

update #9

Sage advise Rob, but a bit too late as the paint is finished. This project is a practice run for my '73 Colorado tii. I'm learning so much and I'll be sure to pull the pedal box and glass when I do the tii.

Here are the latest photos after paint

post-1739-13667664031134_thumb.jpg

post-1739-13667664032617_thumb.jpg

post-1739-13667664033884_thumb.jpg

post-1739-13667664035192_thumb.jpg

post-1739-13667664036496_thumb.jpg

'73 2002tii Colorado

'71 1600 cabriolet

'69 1600 cabriolet

I sell floor pans for coupes and 2002's

I figured out how to load photos so there is no gap.

Interior is on it's way.

These door cards came with the car

Day9013-1.jpg

ready for carpet

Day9009-1.jpg

I sourced enough original carpet from parts cars

Day9012-1.jpg

more help from friends...

Day10001.jpg

'73 2002tii Colorado

'71 1600 cabriolet

'69 1600 cabriolet

update 12- engine install.

The 1600 motor was old and tired. I bought a '74 '02 that has been sitting for 12 years and the owner claimed it had a factory fresh motor installed with about 10K miles on it. Sure enough, he provided the paperwork and we made a great deal (for me).

Day11017.jpg

Day11058.jpg

Day12018.jpg

Day12032.jpg

'73 2002tii Colorado

'71 1600 cabriolet

'69 1600 cabriolet

update 13

more help from friends- time for hood and trim install

Day15001.jpg

notice two parts cars in background

Day15011-1.jpg

Day14008.jpg

Day16015-1.jpg

Day16003-1.jpg

searching fo original black plates- previous owner had to switch to blue plates in 80's

Day16008-1.jpg

need to find all silver grills- these will do for now

Day16004-1.jpg

'73 2002tii Colorado

'71 1600 cabriolet

'69 1600 cabriolet

Very nice job Mike with the help of some friends.

The one photo looks like Andy W?

Been a while since we have seen him. If so please give him our regards.

Great attention to detail includes the black plate and Vasek

plate frame. Solid and a nice representation for the group

of 02 owners! Viva la 1600!

Parts inquiries: 2002haussales@gmail.com FAQ Supporting Vendor  www.2002haus.com www.bmw2002registry.com  Free Your Mind - Remove the Chains and Think 

Tom R @ 02again: thanks for turning me onto this car and for the extra parts cars! When you said this 1600 had good bones you were right. The high desert is a great place to find rust free cars. Thanks Again.

Rob: good eye...Andy W and I share some space for our cars. He has an amazing cart full of the best waxes and special products to bring out the best in paint jobs and his attention to detail is incredible. He really made my paint pop, and he just finished my coupe today. He spends several days on each car. Any SoCal car owner looking for the ultimate detail should hire him. I'll say hello to him.

Malagala: This project took about 7 months...weekends only. I was restoring a tii when I bought this car as a parts car but then got completely side tracked and restored this one. This is my first 02 project so I decided to do the 1600 as a test run for my Tii. I learned so much. This car was suppose to be a surprise Christmas gift for my wife, and ended up being a bday gift in mid May. Still a surprise though!

Collinster-great eye...missing my wiper. (and wiper motor). Fortunately it doesn't rain here often.

I'm now knee deep in my tii. Documenting that project too.

M

'73 2002tii Colorado

'71 1600 cabriolet

'69 1600 cabriolet