• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on 4speed Transmission Rebuild

Fred, Thanks for the offer of your 4speed. I’ve been offered one locally. Fantastic.

Zorac, I keep in mind the issue with fine vs. course output spline. Thanks.

c.d. I’m going to remove exhaust coupling, d/shaft and quibo. Spin the output shaft and see if I still have the clicking that occurs when rolling (may be d/shaft related). I’m very curious to bleed clutch as I never thought of a poor release of clutch. Pressure flushed? Never! Not even sure what that is.

SteveK535, I’m going to call Kormans. Thanks. I hadn’t thought of a 320i replacement.

You 5speed guys… I respect, but I can’t go there. Thanks.

SteveK535,

Called Carl at Kormans. Helluva guy. He believes my catch between 1st and 2nd could be a damper in the cylindrical shift rod coupling. Common issue. Hope he’s right. Could mean the difference between a re&re or a simple fix. Am I that lucky?

73 Inka Tii #2762958

I wish you luck, let us know what you end up doing.

1972 Bavaria (sold)

1985 535i (sold)

1986 535i (sold)

1996 328is daily driver

1973 2002

1968 Porsche 912

1973 Triumph TR6

2 - 2012 Hotwheels BMW 2002s (Inka and Chamonix) 0 miles! (both are #21 of 247!!)