• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NOS intermittent Wiper switch 8/73 on SOLD

Henryn02

I may be wrong, but I thought only the '75 & '76 cars had intermittent wipers. I don't think the roundies ever had them.

See the last paragraph in Mike Self's column in the July 2012 issue of the ROUNDEL on page 100.

Bob Napier

Perhaps it was for later conversions, if you added relay. Checked BMW part number on many web sites and all came up with the date, and note intermittent hash mark on stalk. If anyone can help with this that would be great. Plug has spade connectors.

thanks

i think Napes is right....

recall that the turn signal indicator was on the right hand side of the steering wheel column up to '74 model year, IIRC

that would put your icons upside down if mounted on the left side.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

this is from real oem:

Switch 1 03/1971 08/1973 61311357004 $114.88

Switch 1 08/1973 07/1977 61311357004 $114.88

Penske

61311357004 SWITCH (03/71 to 08/73) 0.37 1 $99.03

61311357004 SWITCH (08/73 to 07/77) 0.37 1 $99.03

Gets pretty confusing. Later cars then?

Henry

This IS a little confusing, because when I put that P/N into bmwfans.info it says the same as you found, Henry, that it is for cars from 8/73 on (that is the first square-lite '74 cars). But, the '74s, at least in the US, did not have intermittent function - it did not show up until the '75 models (production starting in 8/74).

Mike S. recently wrote about this - maybe he'll chime-in with some clarification. I don't know if he's still in Ecuador or not.

It looks like, in a blow-up of your photo, that the handle shows the three arrows pointing up, which would indicate it's for the '75s and '76s with the intermittent function and matching relay. I'm also curious about the tag on the wiring that says 357 014 (not 357 004). This may indicate it was for the last two years of square-lites. But I tried putting in the P/N ending in 014 and it said "No Parts Found". I think you can convert the '74s to intermittent function by replacing the relay. Check the Site Search on this.

Bob Napier

broken intermittent switch on a 75 or 76, or to add an intermittent feature to a 74. For that addition you'd also need the 7 terminal relay and a little additional wiring.

It won't work on a roundie without some extensive rewiring, as it's meant to be used with a left side turn signal/high-low beam lever, not the right side turn signal/wiper on-off lever as found on later roundie cars.

BMW once offered a retrofit kit for late roundies to add an intermittent wiper speed, but the kit has been NLA for many years and will work only with cars that have the wiper on-off switch on the right steering column stalk and wiper speed control via a knob on the lower right side of the instrument binnacle.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite