• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lowering 76 02

DylanB

Hey everyone, i just signed up I'm 16 and I have a 1976 BMW 2002, I think its already been lowered a little bit but not sure, I was wondering if anyone knew how to tell or what to do to make it a little lower! It's my first car and I'm not rich but I don't want to do it the cheapest way possible I want it done right! Any advice is great, and any advice on tasteful modifications or little performance boosters would be awesome! Thank you!

Congrats and welcome. I have a 76 Verona. Stil learning my way around the car. You wil need to save your pennies

This place is a wealth of info.

Use the search, take pics and be ready for opinions. I used IE (Ireland Engineering) stage 1 suspension. The handling is very good. What I don't like is the stance. The rear of the car sits a little higher for my taste. But it responds well.

Enjoy the journey.

Hey everyone, i just signed up I'm 16 and I have a 1976 BMW 2002, I think its already been lowered a little bit but not sure, I was wondering if anyone knew how to tell or what to do to make it a little lower! It's my first car and I'm not rich but I don't want to do it the cheapest way possible I want it done right! Any advice is great, and any advice on tasteful modifications or little performance boosters would be awesome! Thank you!

Well, you just need to buy a set of lowering springs and get them installed (I don't recommend that you do it yourself unless you know how to use a spring compressor, but any tire place or shop can do it). If you just got the car, maybe live with it for a year (or as long as you can) before doing this: it may very well need some more important things than being lowered and that's the only way to find out. If you spend money on springs now you may regret that purchase down the road if you need something critical like a center support bearing, water pump, wheel bearings, brakes, or whatnot.

Ya could have cut stock springs. It's typical. You've seen my Malaga, it's pretty dumped. So you can go a ways. Find yourself a good set on the For Sale board and put em in. You can do it without a conventional spring compressor. I did mine with 2 ratchet straps.... Best of luck mate!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

I have had it for about a year now, and ive got a lot of the prblems it originally had taken care of, most of my interior is new, car was completely rewired so everything works, new exhaust, the one it came with had pin holes, recent wheels and tires, proffesionally painted, mostly rust free, so now I just want to get it ready for the shows and make it my own.

i already have bilsteins and sway bars but im not sure what springs. i thought about cutting the springs, makes me nervous though, I also thought about stage two set from Ireland Engineering if anyone has those, I would appreciate a picture of how it sits!

We're about to put a set of ST springs on ours (very mild lowering, not, "for shows"), they're not very expensive and should make the car drive nicely. Mesa Performance sells them in case you want to check that out.

IE2's will be a little higher than these, but not much.

IMG_0546%2520EDIT%2520NO%2520PLATE.jpg

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

• Upcoming Events

• Supporting Vendors