• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lower Timing Cover tii gasket install

I am putting my lower timing cover back on the tii, following some directions, which indicate using sealant to attach the gaskets first to the covers, then install (no sealant on the engine side) to the block. IMPORTANT NOTE: the oil pan is staying on, and the engine is in the car.

I just saw a past post indicating you should put the passenger side gasket onto the block rather than the cover, and I can see why. It looks like it might be difficult to slip the top part of the gasket under the tensioner arm. Has anyone successfully done this? I have already adhered the gaskets to the cover, and don't want to drop the oil pan. Am I screwed, and need to order another gasket and start over?

Thanks,

Andy74tii

FAQ Member #126

I think if you slip the gasketed portion of the timing cover behind the tension rail finger **GENTLY** you can get away with it.

FYI: I always use sealant on both sides of the gasket. If the surfaces were new, factory tolerance, freshly machined...it'd be a different story.

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

Thanks Paul I will try that. For the top of the lower timing cover where it contacts the head gasket, do you use any sealant there? Also, the bottom of the upper cover, same question? I know about using a bit of rtv in the corners.

Thanks,

Andy74tii

FAQ Member #126

If you're re-using the head gasket and oil pan gasket - definitely put a little sealant on the surfaces. I did this last week in a hurry at The Vintage (by flashlight), and it's still bone dry....no leaks!

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

+1......I always put a thin coat of Permatex gasket sealant on both sides of gaskets like this one. I don't buy the "no sealant needed" directions, unless it's a brand new engine (like Paul says).

FYI: I always use sealant on both sides of the gasket. If the surfaces were new, factory tolerance, freshly machined...it'd be a different story.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"