• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Push-on Shift Knob

I had a weird tink sound coming from the driveshaft and determined (with Blunt's help) that some real funkiness was going on with my shifter setup. I had thought it was just extremely worn, but there were some home-brewed parts in there from a PO.

Blunt shipped me out some new bits including a Z3 1.9 shifter and it's as good as new (or maybe better).

Now I need a shift knob. I've googled around, searched here, and on bimmer forums as well as hitting up Pelican, IE, BavAuto, and AutohausAZ looking for push on knobs that don't have 5 speed or 6 speed patterns on them.

Anyone have any suggestions where to get one? A 2 inch round wood knob is ideal, but I'd be interested in most anything that doesn't lie about how many gears I have.

Anyone have an old knob lying around they'd like to move? Can I commission a wood knob from anyone with access to some woodworking tools?

Thanks in advance.

Lucy: 1975 Sahara

Hi, try http://customwoodshiftknobs.com/

I have bought a knob from Elihu. Great customer service and great workmanship. He can put any top insert in it that you like, his website only shows the gear trees (I think that this might be because of copyright reasons). Tell Elihu that his customer in Poland sent you!

'70 2002

'72 Harley FLH

'90 Trabant

'08 X5

'98 VW Cabrio

I'm using one that I bought at the dealer. I asked for the replacement/stock knob for a 1984 E30 325e. Once you have this knob you can purchase a Roundel insert to use in place of the stock shift pattern knob. I don't think there are any push on knobs w/o the insert opening.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey do you still have any push on knobs left, looking for one for my 76 that will fit a Ireland Engineering short throw shifter (Require push on knob) Please email, neltwins at aol dot com Thankyou

1976 2002 Verona Red/Gobi Tan 4spd

Did you ever have any luck finding a shift knob? I have a 76 2002 that has a Ireland Engineering short throw shifter and looking for a wooden knob myself

I didn't find a wooden knob that I liked (or that was in my price range).

But a friend hooked me up with an e30 knob that fits pretty well and doesn't look out of place.

Good luck on the hunt.

Lucy: 1975 Sahara