• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thinking of a hidden stereo

DUDOK

My car is getting close to dynamat time. I have been thinking about a future stereo system and what I should run now under the carpet. My thoughts are:

I like the look of the original, so I am looking at this system for the future http://vintagevibes.net/Stereos/secretaudio.htm and mount it in the trunk. Most of my music would be on a usb stick and i would not mind opening the lid to remove because they can fit a lot. I also like the small rf remote. Has anyone used this unit?

For speakers I would put two under the dash. I know this is not great acoustically but I am more concerned with it not being seen. The back shelf I have been leaning toward cutting in speakers that mount flush, cut the board and then recover the whole thing with speaker fabric for a flush look albeit not original fabric. Has anyone done this and if so a picture would be much appreciated?

I have done some searching but have not found too much. Any other thoughts on hiding a system? I would like to get as much planned right up front.

'69 1600 M42

'13 500 Abarth

Why hide?

Buy a period Blaupunkt or Becker. Attach MP3 cable. Mount aux power on glove box, run to modified ash tray to hold/power USB stick, or iPod or iPhone. Need more speaker power, mount amp under back seat or trunk.

Speakers under dash and in kick panel under back seat.

That is what I did.

MLytle has done the undermount hidden parcel shelf, think there are details in his project post 'MLytles M2 madness'

What you do is 100% your decision.

post-17359-13667659514115_thumb.jpg

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Thanks Andrew,

I totally forgot that some of the old stereos you can hook up a MP3 player to. I like your setup and will probably go that route. I guess I need to research stereo setups next!

Thanks

'69 1600 M42

'13 500 Abarth

I don't have any photos right now, but I ended up mounting an amp under the passenger seat and two 6x9's under the rear seat (kick panel) and two 6" on the parcel shelf (under a piece of hardboard that I need to still cover)

I set it up with an RCA volume control straight to my iPhone (also wired up an aux cigarette lighter with a USB converter next to the amp to power my iPhone) with the composite cable from apple. I still need to figure out some speakers for the front, but I love how inconspicuous everything is.

Daily '74 BMW 2002 w/ Dual 40's

Signature

Visit my Wheelwell to see what I've done to the car

or....

head unit in glove box

L1060310.jpg

L1010899.jpg

controlled by remote via IR—eye on above pic, pointing at face of unit

L1010892-1.jpg

L1060308.jpg

amp under rear seat, secured with L-brackets

L1010993.jpg

speakers under parcel shelf...

L1010952.jpg

...cover has cutouts to match the speakers, and is covered with speaker cloth.

seatbeltinstall020.jpg

speakers not visible...

L1040088-Version2.jpg

72 BMW 2002tii Inka, Tip Top

92 BMW 318ic, Wolfgang

07 Mini Cooper, MC

72 BMW 2002tii Malaga - stricken