• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shock question...

I run billy HD's on all 4 corners and dont have much of an issue. I'm dropped pretty darn low on 5" springs.

IMG_0546%2520EDIT%2520NO%2520PLATE.jpg

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

The one to talk to about makin Coil overs is Jonjank on the forums and Patrick at Midnight Motorsport in Seattle if ya cant find the info online here, which it's here somewhere....

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Nice, another question is I get a lot of different answers on how much to cut the strut tube and spacers. Any one have some advice on whats a good number and how you can go with each set up, tire interference etc?

I did this a few weeks ago, cut 2" out of the struts and wound up needing 3" spacers for the rabbit struts.

I run Bilstein sports and IE red springs with a three-dot spacer on the bottom in the back: (apologies for the small, bad photo, I'll see if I can get a better one)

562804_3259835258385_1342260042_32724136_723781849_n.jpg

So whats everyone reason for cutting or spacing X amount? Why did you go with 3in spacer? Was it to clear the rim? Get the shock in the correct part of the stroke? Do you need to space it because if you cut the whole 5in out the car wouldn't get off the ground lol I know I should just wait and space the stuff myself but I have free time and want to get my weld on lol

Willie

72 2002

xmrinc.com

It may be worthwhile to give the folks at Ireland a call. I know they have a pattern for the cuts, welds, etc. They should also be able to answer your questions. They have been a good resource for me when I have called or e-mailed.

-David

1972 2002 - 2577652 Follow the fun

No I didn't call either one, was looking more for idea on what others did and how low they went,tire size, rim to coil interference etc. I did call Patrick @ Midnight motorsports and he was very cool and let me waste about 25min of his time asking question. The guys at Ireland where cool enough to email me a wire diagram I needed without even asking. Cool to see some shops that still do that!

So I decided to cut 2in out of the strut tube and space up the shock. One thing I didn't like was how the shock didn't center with the stock gland nut. I took one of the centering spacers that came with the Rabbit KYB shocks and turned it down to fit in the stock strut. Now it stays centered...

Sorry for the bad pics and its just mocked up so it will sit down lower...

coil3.jpg

coil2.jpg

coil.jpg

Willie

72 2002

xmrinc.com

There aren't any bolt- ons for the rear if you go low.

Running something stock is a perfect way to bottom it in a bumpy corner

and find some snap oversteer.

I relocated the upper mount a couple of inches higher when I

put coilovers in the race car.

You could also lower the lower mount, I suppose.

In front, if you don't space the shock properly, you bottom it, too-

significant lowering on stock shocks has that problem.

There's a LOT of suspension travel in a stock 2002, it's just

designed to be used at a rocker height of almost 8" with soft springs

AND good bump stops.

By the time they got to the E36, it was running almost entirely on bump stops-

and they got it right, the thing handles well.

NASCAR does it that way a lot, too...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL