• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Distributor Oil Leak

Lemons2002

I have an oil leak from where my distributor does into the head housing.

This is a 318i head (unknown origin... junkyard) using a 1974 2002 distributor.

The o-ring was replaced already.

The leak only occurs with the engine running/hot. It unfortunately drops oil directly onto the exhaust manifold- fire hazard and lots of smoke. Just changed the oil with fresh 20w-50 dino juice.

Thoughts?

The leak only occurs with the engine running/hot. It unfortunately drops oil directly onto the exhaust manifold- fire hazard and lots of smoke. Just changed the oil with fresh 20w-50 dino juice.

Thoughts?

Is the distributor spinning the correct way?. There is a spiral groove running up the shaft which seems to pump oil back into the engine. If you've got the distributor running backwards the groove pumps oil out of the engine.

I ask because you appear to have a mismatch in distributor rotation directions, E30 318 versus 2002.

I ran into a similar issue when I adapted an E30 distributor on to a 2002 head. I had to change the shaft, drive gear & lock the advance mechanism to make it work. (advance was done in the ECU)

Exhaust manifold flambe is usually a stud that's backed out...

...but there's always that little sealing washer that gets left out, too.

As well as the pressure sender.

The housing itself never leaks, and the gasket for it hardly ever...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Thoughts?

Is the distributor spinning the correct way?. There is a spiral groove running up the shaft which seems to pump oil back into the engine. If you've got the distributor running backwards the groove pumps oil out of the engine.

I ask because you appear to have a mismatch in distributor rotation directions, E30 318 versus 2002.

I ran into a similar issue when I adapted an E30 distributor on to a 2002 head. I had to change the shaft, drive gear & lock the advance mechanism to make it work. (advance was done in the ECU)

wow, that may be the issue. It is indeed running the opposite direction. I believe the dizzy gear was changed out in order to make it work with the new head.

This is a group project (24 hours of lemons) so I will have to check what was done.

How hard it is to change the shaft? I know the gear was replaced by driving a pin out.

From memory it wasn't hard, I remember having to lathe something but I can't remember what (I think it was just a spacer). But please note I threw all the advance mechanism away and welded the top part of the shaft to the lower.

How are you doing advance?. If you just changed the gear the distributor will be retarding instead of advancing.

From memory it wasn't hard, I remember having to lathe something but I can't remember what (I think it was just a spacer). But please note I threw all the advance mechanism away and welded the top part of the shaft to the lower.

How are you doing advance?. If you just changed the gear the distributor will be retarding instead of advancing.

I think it was a vacuum retard unit - so now that we are backwards it is advancing. I should probably double check this with the timing light.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the mechanical advance mechanism always advance the timing? so in your case it will retard.

It may be simpler to change the camshaft to a 2002 one

I think the smog models had a vacuum retard (like ours). Do you think changing the cam would be easier than swapping dizzy shifts?

I'm 100% certain that you'll need to either machine or weld something to swap the distributor shafts.

Swapping the cam shafts on the other hand will be time consuming but everything should just bolt together.

A third alternative would be to use an E30 distributor and graft the electronic ignition from an E30 into the 2002. Mechanically simpler but you need to be good with wiring. IIRC the ignition system from an E30 are stand alone modules not connected to the rest of the injection system.