• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some 1600 and 02 questions...

okibono

Hey guys, new here, but previously had a 75 02 w/ goodies. I've also used the "Search" feature, and have come up with some good stuff, and good questions.

Right now I'm looking at a 69 1600 that has an 02 motor swapped in w/ the stock 4 spd. I am trying to see if this car would be a good fit for my future plans.

It seems like the 1600's don't have sway bar mounts. If they don't, is there a way I could install them?

And beside the normal 02 healthy motor mods, I was thinking of doing a 5 spd, LSD, bolt on suspension, and upgraded OEM brakes all around down the road.

Would a 1600 that is in good shape and already has a nice 2.0 motor in it be a good candidate for the above mods?

Thanks in advance.

Oh, and I just remembered another question. lol, can you build up a 1600 short block to the same bore and stroke and hp as a built up 2.0. In other words, are the limits the same for both blocks?

My 1600-02 does not have sway bars either but all the holes are there for them and fitting is no problem. If you did the same engine mods on a 1600 as on a 2002 you would get more HP out of the 2002 because the displacement is more to start with . 2L vs 1.6 L

72/2002 Inca

72tii/2002 "Apple"

70/2002 "Five "

73/2002 "Freeda"

2007 Lotus 7 Replica

2011 Ford xr6 Ute

85 E30 325

70 1600-2 "Orange"

Thanks for the response.

Can you bore and stroke a 1.6 to the same final displacement as a 2.0? The only example I could come up with is the same way you can take a Chevy 396, 427, or 454, and come up with the same bored and stroked big block, depending on parts (468, 496, etc)...

lol, sorry, I'm an old V-8 dude...

Only the very early 1600s lack the holes for sway bar mounts--they started putting 'em in about the time the 2002 came out Jan 68 or so)--rationalizing the front and rear subframes for both cars.

You could use 2002 rods in a 1600 block and have an 1802, but you're better off to stick with the 2002 engine you already have.

If your 1600 has a long neck diff (production date before 1 Jan 69 +/-, you'll need a later rear subframe if you want to install a 3.90 or an E21 limited slip diff. Your 1600 came with a 4.11 diff--great for acceleration when paired with a 2002 engine, but pretty revvy at highway speeds. If you're gonna do a lot of highway driving, a 5 speed with a 3.64 diff is a good choice; otherwise, use a 3.90 from a '76 or a 1.8 liter E21--better acceleration and the same revs in 5th as a 3.64 in 4th...

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

how can you tell visually if it has a long neck diff or a short one?

my guess is one is shorter than the other, but if I'm walking up on a car for the first time and I don't know what I'm looking at, how can tell the difference between the two?

thanks.