• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Slight backfire after key is turned off.... why?

Tangmere

Ok, fellow 02'ers. I am stumped here on the basics of tune ups with this. I am new to the 02 world, and am just not getting it. Here is the setup. a 75, stock other than a brand new 32/36 water choke Weber. The air fuel is set at 2 and 1/4 turns out. Timing seems to be a mystery, as from what i have read, all of them are different, so there is no real degree that works for everyone? So i set it a a good sound, no rough idle at about 950 rpm. It is not advanced to the point of no power at higher rpm, UNTIL about 4000 rpm. So my issue is i have a weak spot, not really a dead spot at about 4000rpm, or about 70ish mph. I have fiddled with timing and air fuel for about a month now and just cant seem to get it right. Should i set the timing at revving the motor to about 3500 rpm, to make sure the distributor is fully advanced, then set to smooth running? Why does it slightly backfire after i shut the motor off? Oh, and i just re adjusted the valves to make sure i didn't have any issues there. I am guessing the timing is still off, for the back fire, but why after the ignition is off does it backfire? Too rich and fuel left over out of the exhaust igniting in the exhaust manifold?

Thanks in advance for your responses, this is probably a simple issue, and i am just too much of a noob with these to get it....

Guest Anonymous

do you still have points? When I did, the adjustment of them made the difference on backfiring - don't remember which way, but a little off and the car backfired. Higher octane gas might help too.

Sorry, forgot to mention that. No i installed a pertronix. Can that be the issue? I kind of heard that its either on or wont fire, so if it worked, i figured i had it right, using the plastic gauge, I have not fiddled with the pertronix gap since i set it. Oh, and it is easy to start in the morning here, morning temp about 28, but it wont stay running, will die due to low RPM. Although i can start it easy, fires right up, i have to keep my foot on it till it warms up or it will die. Once warmed up, idles at 950, fairly smooth.

My car does the same thing warming up. As far as the backfiring check your jets and make sure they are the correct ones. Also if you dont have idle cut off solenoids the car can diesel a bit sometimes. Mine does from time to time as well. No biggie really.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

set your timing @1400 rpm, "BALL" mark aligned in the

timing inspection hole to the rear of the starter motor.

If your car has a vacuum advance - disconnect the vacuum

hose at the advance pot while setting the timing.

your 'step' or 'flat spot' in power delivery at 4000 rpm is a function

of the air correction jet sizes. Try my suggested

jetting for the 32/36 and you'll see no more 'flat spot'.

the backfiring on shut off can be caused:

-by a leaking fuel shut off solenoid at the

base of the carb - if yourshas one fitted?

-Valved adjusted with too little clearance?

-Float level too high?

-idle mixture way off - too rich?

-spark plugs wrong - too hot heat range?

-ignition timing too retarded?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

...my WEBER prescription:

32/36

Float Level 40mm

PRIMARY

idle 60

main 140

air correction 145

SECONDARY

idle 55

main 170

air correction 175

AND -PLUG THE SECONDARY ENRICHMENT HOLE AT THE TOP OF THE CARB AS MY DIAGRAM SHOWS . DO IT AND SEE THE HUGE DIFFERANCE IN ACCURATE FUEL METERING THROUGH OUT ALL RPM AND THROTTLE OPENINGS.

Float Adjustment Instructions

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Timing light set to 0 degree advance.

The BB (ball) on the flywheel is set at your degree of advance.

The BB is in red in this photo. The white line covers the TDC mark. So you can see the degree of difference

Flywheel05.jpg

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5