• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The 400 cars in the Portuguese Barn find

Napes

Here is a list of just the BMWs that were in the barn(s).

BMW 3.0 CS 1973

• BMW 3.0 CS 1972

• BMW 3.0 Si 1971

• BMW 3.0 Si 1973

• BMW 3.0 S 1972

• BMW 2800 1970

• BMW 502 V8 3.2 1960

• BMW Isetta 300 1957

• BMW 502 V8 1959

• BMW 501 V8

• BMW 503 Cabriolet 1956

• BMW 503 Coupé 1957

• BMW 327/28 Cabriolet 1939

• BMW 326 1939

BMW 2002 1970

BMW 1602 1971

BMW 1800 1969

Bob Napier

This story, complete with photos was circulated around the Porsche boards several years ago.

It is a myth which was de-bunked back then. The 'collection' was accumulated by a retired auto dealer over many years. It is located in Portugal, but the land, bldg. and collection still very much belong to the original owner.

The false rumor spread when the owner had a photographer come in to photograph the collection. Some of the photos got on the web igniting the rumors and back story.

But, there are some very nice 'hidden' collections out there. Several years ago I was invited to view part of the collection of a guy known then as the 'Sultan of Michigan'. This collection, numbered more than 500 cars. It was all very secretive, the location, we were not allowed to photograph it nor take any electronic devices, and signed waivers not to disclose the location. We were picked up at the airport in a car w/ blacked out windows and driven straight inside the 1st bldg. before being allowed out. The collection was contained in several bldgs. with covered or fenced walkways between them. This was all for Security/Insurance purposes.

Since that time, the owner has come forward and held a couple of charity tours through the collection. He is Ken Lingenfelter, John Lingenfelter's cousin.

AMAZING collection !! There was a YouTube pirated and floating around, so you may have seen it. Watch it here:

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/03/27/video-mystery-collection-is-one-of-the-nicest-weve-ever-seen/?a_dgi=aolshare_email

or here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMQMgwouKlU

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

here is one of my favorites:

http://mred-miller-carcollector.blogspot.com/

one of my customers knew about this guy, and went to the auction. he is an old car nut, and wanted to bid on a stutz firetruck. he had 20k, but he knew it was a really long shot. i think he said the truck went for like half million. but he also told me some things that are not in that, or any other article about miller. for one, there was a mint condition vw beetle on the 3rd floor. they couldnt figger out how he got it up there, and the auctioneer said the winning bidder would have to figger out how to get it down. also, they found a big jar of gold teeth. hmmmm.

Ken Inn

The links I posted show only about 1/3 of the entire collection !

Ken also has some very nice antiques as well.

At the time I viewed it, the collection was deemed inestimable, partly because of all the one-offs and also because if this collection were ever to go for sale at one time, the sheer number of cars would actually depress the market.

But, an estimate was made of more than $300 Million !!

For those who don't know, Ken Lingenfelter is the CEO/Owner of Lingenfelter Performance Engineering. His famous late cousin, John, actually worked for Ken.

Cheers !!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet