• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

regarding E30 rear view mirror install

robsanab

just received a mirror (w/map lights) and was wondering about two features of it...

1) there is a knob on the stalk that screws in and out (with a screw head in the center). Thought it might be to tighten against the window, but it's hard plastic and not cushioned in any way. Another function?

2) there is a rectangular rubber grommet around the stalk... was this something that was only needed on E30 cars. I was just going to cut it off but thought I'd ask if there was something useful I could do with it.

ALSO, after a search I'm confused at what folks have done to make the sun visor work... is there a visor from a particular model that fits with using existing mounting holes??

Rob

1966 Mustang vert - 5.0EFI/AOD & mods

1975 '02 - the typical upgrades (my 'new' car)

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

exactly, hell of a lot of posts. I perused many of them and a lot of those are from folks selling a mirror... I have one.

I did not find any answers to these two questions and as for the sun visors I found a post that said something like "E30's should work" and someone else replying that the E30 ones are all black, different material, etc. Was hoping for a more definitive answer like exactly what years work and if there are better color matches, whatever.

Sorry, I'm ill and a little grumpy... I really try to read up on things and just not post spur of the moment. I realize these are relatively small insignificant questions... you can always save your expansive knowledge for more important topics.

Rob

1966 Mustang vert - 5.0EFI/AOD & mods

1975 '02 - the typical upgrades (my 'new' car)

E21 visors will mount in an 02, will clear the E30 mirror and are the correct color.

The "knob" is intended as a brace against the windshield in an E30, presumably to reduce vibration in the mirror. Won't fit in an 02 because of the angle of the mirror "stalk" vis-a-vis the windshield, so you have to remove it.

The "rectangular rubber grommet around the stalk" does not fit in the 02 and should be removed (for cosmetic reasons... does not interfere with the installation). In the E30, this grommet provides a seal around the "stalk" where it enters what I would call the "upper console," which includes the sunroof controls.

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga

The end result. The visors are a small price for me to pay to have this mirror with map lights.

5af27a09.jpg

c6b7d238.jpg

1976 2002 (Grey Ghost)

2002 X5 3.0i Newly Added

2001 Z3 Roadster 2.5i

1976 Malaga 2002 (totaled by city bus)

1985 535i (totaled. Hit from behind)

1981 320i (trade-in. AC issues)

LIFE IS SHORT, TIME TO DRIVE.

I installed mine without the support. It does suffer a bit of vibration- it appears to be mostly from the motor in certain RPM ranges. However, my original 02 mirror vibrated too. I have thought about trying to fabricate some kind of rubber peg to fit on the windshield brace, but haven't been bothered enough by the vibration to make the effort.

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga

I have to comment on this "everyone should search the forum forever before posting a question to the board" mentality. I agree with CD insofar that it makes sense to search the forum for information before posting a question, and that there is a wealth of info on the forum. But, how long should one have to search if no concise thread/answer is available. This guy should have read 4000 posts? Really?

I have been involved with this board since the beginning when Rob and Steve set it up, and the concept from the start has been (as stated on the home page): "Ask a question, get an answer or just discuss general 02 goodness." If someone has a bit of info and can respond to a question to spare someone an interminable search on the forum, that should be done.

There is no mirror FAQ. Therefore, if people ask questions about this subject, you should either write one, or STFU.

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga

E30 rear view mirror anti vibration

just cut a piece of 8x13mm fuel injection hose ,

with a notch trimed for the mirror neck for a damper

against the glass insert a wood dowell in the middle

of the hose for errection

t_img_0160_219.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

I have to comment on this "everyone should search the forum forever before posting a question to the board" mentality. I agree with CD insofar that it makes sense to search the forum for information before posting a question, and that there is a wealth of info on the forum. But, how long should one have to search if no concise thread/answer is available. This guy should have read 4000 posts? Really?

I have been involved with this board since the beginning when Rob and Steve set it up, and the concept from the start has been (as stated on the home page): "Ask a question, get an answer or just discuss general 02 goodness." If someone has a bit of info and can respond to a question to spare someone an interminable search on the forum, that should be done.

There is no mirror FAQ. Therefore, if people ask questions about this subject, you should either write one, or STFU.

I know this is not the place for this and I'm sorry to hijack you thread for it but I have been waiting for someone to say this for awhile. The search gestapo thing has gotten out of hand, just don't answer. THANKS!

1976 2002 - sold off to a new home

1971 2002 project. Follow Me!- http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,362574/

it's not done right til I've done it twice