• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 2002 farm find

sebandwhit

Oooh, just remembered something; while you still have the motor out (if you are still re installing the A/C) You may want to go ahead and put your crank pulley from the 74 motor on... it has the extra drive for the compressor. (seems a lot easier with the engine out of the car) Also make sure you get new O-rings and have the system evacuated when she's up and running =]

Out of curiosity, what's your compression readings/miles on that motor?

My 74 motor is 160/158/161/160 with 183,000 miles.

1974 Malaga 2002 4282899 "Little Red"

1976 Polaris 2002 2374061 "Rusty Shackleford" 

1998 Dk. Blue Volvo S70 T5 "Carlene"- 221k Miles 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good idea about the pulley! I would have forgot. The compression readings I have are even across the board but the compression testor wasnt holding the pressure. So I will post #'s and pics once I get the other compression tester. The mileage is unknown on the motor since I bought it from another faq member 5 years ago...although the head looks very fresh and I was told the motor had been rebuilt within 20k miles. But I only had it in the 76 for 2 months before it was totalled. It has been turned frequently and has been in dry storage. But thats why im going to check a few seals. O-rings and system vac soon to come. Man I really need to make a checklist!

68' 2002 (Project)

Checklist? Oh stop it, you :) We all know once we get started on a project on these little cars it turns into 7 different "while i'm at it"'s :P

3 bad compression testers? That's a heck of a bad streak of luck.

I updated my blog about those tail lights; its a very easy task and you might as well do it since you probably need to change those tail light gaskets ;) Just don't do like I did and drop the nuts down in between the trunk reinforcement.. you'll never find em.

1974 Malaga 2002 4282899 "Little Red"

1976 Polaris 2002 2374061 "Rusty Shackleford" 

1998 Dk. Blue Volvo S70 T5 "Carlene"- 221k Miles 

We had two compression testers. Only one ended up being bad but the good one was on loan to us. Swapped crank pulley for the a/c this morning and installed the flywheel and clutch. Trying to get some matching paint on several areas of the engine bay tonight before I get the motor back in. I wasnt sure that I wanted to finish that now but I might as well. Ive taken a bunch of pictures and will post soon. Did spill a little green paint on my grills though.

IMG_0540.JPG

68' 2002 (Project)

• 2 weeks later...

Started the engine install on a lunch break and finished it with help Thursday night. Stilll need to clean and install the carb, intake and distributer... but I finally feel like im making progress. Im trying to finish the car for Brisbane so time is becomming short. Engine has been cleaned up and has new oil, filter, oil pan gasket, exhaust and intake gaskets, exhaust flange gasket, and plugs. Also added a MSD Blaster coil.

DSC07766.JPG

DSC07762.JPG

Before:

IMG_0508.JPG

After:

DSC07777.JPG

DSC07774.JPG

68' 2002 (Project)

• 2 weeks later...

I took out the fuel tank... cleaned it up and its back in the car. The radiator and hoses are all connected. With the help of Mark, his timing light and Austin, last night we started the car up and she's running pretty good! Still have some timing to work on... but its very close. Installing the 32/36 sync-link kit tonight... and hopefully adjusting the valves as well.

68' 2002 (Project)

• 2 weeks later...

Well... I didnt get the car done for the Brisbane show. But I gave it my best effort! Lots of late night really early monrning car sessions. I am having an issue getting the engine to idle once warm. I think the carb is a little sticky and might need to go through it again. I have the day off from work so today im bleeding the clutch and brakes. I just put on new brake shoes and I will try to check out the front pads today. My 5 year old was super excited about helping me adjust the valves. He seems to really like working on the car.

A little difference in paint color where I did a little polishing.

DSC07819.JPG

Lennox adjusting the valves for me... definately have to double check! lol

DSC07838.JPG

DSC07836.JPG

Gas tank back in and trunk comming together. I found the original jack and lug nut wrench in the parts box so those went back in.

DSC07842.JPG

DSC07850.JPG

68' 2002 (Project)

So I got ready today to bleed the brakes and the clutch and realized how dirty the underside of this car is. Ive mostly been working on it after hours or before daylight. So it was time to bring out the pressure washer.

DSC07899.JPG

I was originally worried that there was a lot of surface rust... but it was just dirt.

DSC07893.JPG

DSC07892.JPG

DSC07854.JPG

Getting sprayed down!

DSC07898.JPG

It was a hot day... in no time the driveway was dry again. Once the car is dry I will take a few after shots.

DSC07883.JPG

Im also going to give this a try... Im glad I have good friends to push me along on this project. My neighbor(Austin, with a 74 turbo drift project)bought this at the perfect time!

DSC07881.JPG

DSC07884.JPG

DSC07885.JPG

I started to use this but found that my slave cylinder is definately bad. A replacement is on its way!

68' 2002 (Project)

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a few pictures of the underside fresh from the farm.

Iphone%2520pics%2520047.JPG

IMG_0015.JPG

IMG_0014.JPG

IMG_0013.JPG

IMG_0011.JPG

IMG_0009.JPG

And pictures of the underside after the first round with the pressure washer. I still might give it another wash but I can actually see what im touching now.

100_0543.JPG

100_0533.JPG

100_0531.JPG

100_0516.JPG

100_0539.JPG

100_0541.JPG

68' 2002 (Project)

Thanks! It has turned out to be a great car so far. Right now I am trying to replace the slave cylinder on this thing and man... it is a tough one! I have been spraying it and letting it soak and hopefully tonight I can finally get this done. I wanna drive this thing! lol We will see...

68' 2002 (Project)

• 1 month later...

Over the last few weeks I have had other projects going on but now it's back to the car! I replaced the slave cylinder finally! Tried several different times and then a neighbor brought over the torch... And some freeze spray. The combo made it very easy to remove. So if you ever need to replace a very old slave cylinder and it's stuck... Just borrow a torch if you don't have one. Pictures to come.

68' 2002 (Project)

• 1 month later...