• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear interior trim removal

poolnoodle

Hi All,

Novice question coming up :-)

I am beginning to strip my '02 for restoration and wonderedhow to remove the rear interior trims (door trims).

Didn't want to damage anything.

Have done the same thing on my E30 and just used a flat trim removal tool and popped the clips.

Help!!

1974 Polaris 2002

1983 E30 323i

The rear side panels do not use clips. They have a single phillips head screw on the bottom, and then are held by clips on the window edge.

Remove seats and then the bottom screw, then work it upward with a side-to-side rocking to work the clips loose - it will be stubborn.

I have also seen them removed by getting a slim flat piece of wood or such, working it in behind the panel at an angle and then use a deadblow hammer to gently pop it upward until the clips let loose (about an inch) - be careful using this method as you can damage either the panel or the window seal.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

Thanks mate. Tried this but there are no sign of any screws in the panels??

I can slide my fingers behind the panel for most it's edges but not the slightest sign of it parting company with the car!

Well, the later cars didn't normally have the screw, but many have replaced panels and some consequently do have it.

I said it's stubborn... the steel clips will sometimes corrode to the panel edge, which is why you sometimes have to use the wood/hammer method. I used a piece of lath (thin enough to get behind), and also once, a steel interior removal tool (like a broad bladed screwdriver). The main concern is damaging the panel or the window seal using this method, but if one is careful, it will work. Be sure it's seated at the top of the panel (behind it) and lots of little taps in several places to loosen it rather than going all 'Ahhhrnold' on it. If the clips are rusted, it's really the only way.

In any event, you need to push the panel straight up to get the clips to release. Good Luck !!

Cheers!

• Haha 1

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

I can't recall having seen a retaining screw on 2002 side panels--at least not on the roundies I've owned and worked on. the back seat cushion holds the bottom of the panel in place, and while the car's body is drilled for clips along the B pillar, they were never used. So all you need to do is push up on the side panels. It may help to open the quarter windows.

There are screws holding the seat cushion in place on squarelights (but not roundies), and all have screws holding the bottom of the seat back in place.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Guest Anonymous

I've had 2002s with 2 clips along the front edge - no screw at the bottom. Basically you get the bottom part loose and then push up, same as for the front panels, sorta. Be sure you have removed any seat belt attaching hardware that might be on the panel.

I have had the rear door panel held by two of the same type of clip used to hold the door panel on. These are located near the front edge and you have to use some type of tool to get behind the door panel and pop those loose so your door panel is at about a 20-25 degree angle once you have those loose you have to either grab both sides and lift up firmly or use the wood/hammer method.....steve