• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1976 02 A DYING PROBLEM

ramayah

Hello,

My car runs and then dies. It will start up fine but when on the road for a few minutes it will just die. This happens as I try to accelerate. As soon as I step on the gas it will rev up and then cuts off. After a few moments it will start again, run for another minute or so and dies. If I keep driving at 20MPH it will go a bit longer but the moment I step on the gas it just goes dead.

The fuel pump pumps gas to the carb just fine. The carb seems to be getting gas. After reaching home from the short drive and I parked, now it wouln't start. I believe I might have flooded it.The carb is 32/36 Weber.

Your help will be appreciated. Thanks

Randy

that's been discussed recently in a few posts, with lots of insight, so a search would be helpful to find all the discussions.

One problem noted: a crap-filled pickup tube in the gas tank. Gas percolates through a little bit and can make a quick static test look OK. But the restriction prevents the full flow needed for full running.

Cheers,

Carl

clogged tank pickup

porous cloth fuel hoses - sucking air

crushed or bent hose/pipe someplace

tired diaphram in mechanical fuel pump - replace the pump

carb float incorrect - too low

problem with float needle and seat

really dirty carb and all the jets and tiny passages

it's not your ignition.

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

I believe the problem is solved.

I tried to start it this morning and it failed to fire up. I then checked the plugs for spark and had none. I checked the points and the gap was almost closed at its wide opening. I beleived I was not getting a spark. I then filed the points and regapped it to .16 and cleaned the cap. At first turn of the key it fired right up. Took it for a drive and and it didn't die upon hard acceleration.I am very happy now.

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. I appreciate it.

Randy