• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

electric fuel pump ( Carter ? )

inka.inka

A CON with electric pumps is that they don't necessarily stop when the engine does... Which can be bad in an accident.

that's what fuel pump relays are for - after 10seconds without ignition (meaning ignition on, but killed engine, therefore no spark from the ignition) it shuts off the pump - at least mine does.

A CON with electric pumps is that they don't necessarily stop when the engine does... Which can be bad in an accident.

that's what fuel pump relays are for - after 10seconds without ignition (meaning ignition on, but killed engine, therefore no spark from the ignition) it shuts off the pump - at least mine does.

I am going to be picking up a Holley Fuel safety switch today. Will Run fused Battery power to trunk.

Bob S.

• 3 weeks later...

How is the electric pumps coming along?

I am mounting a carter 4070 under the car where the original Tii pump was and I will use the original Tii wiring.

I am going to have a metal fuel filter in the trunk before the pump and a filter king filter system under the hood.

I will be running a 40 DFAV if I can open up the manifold enough to handle the extra size

FOR SALE-----74 2002tii 2782194 Turkis, Megasquirt, Korman road sport springs, Bilstein HD shocks, 13" FPS Bottle Caps

• 2 months later...

I just spoke to Carter tech on the phone about the 4070 electric fuel pump, in particular about adapting from the stock 5/16 size fuel line in the 2002 to the 3/8 fuel inlets and outlets on the fuel pump. I didn't think there would be any harm in adapting where needed. However, the tech guy, who was very knowledgeable, said that the Carter 4070 electric pump should be run in a system entirely of 3/8 fuel line, from fuel pickup to the carb. The reason he gave was that the higher flow of the 3/8 fuel line helped keep the fuel pump cool and that adding any restrictions to the line would limit flow and could possibly cause the fuel pump to overheat and fail. I can see how this makes sense.

"And The Dude abides"

74 2002 Inka (The Dude)

68 Zundapp ISDT Racer (original 350 miles)

87 BMW 735i (frozen motor)

79 VW Westphalia (for sale)

55 AJS 500cc Enduro Non-running Ekins bike

72 Yamaha XS2 (in many boxes)

I may have got the size wrong on the original 2002 fuel line 1/4 inch or 5/16, but all the rest of his response seems to make sense.

"And The Dude abides"

74 2002 Inka (The Dude)

68 Zundapp ISDT Racer (original 350 miles)

87 BMW 735i (frozen motor)

79 VW Westphalia (for sale)

55 AJS 500cc Enduro Non-running Ekins bike

72 Yamaha XS2 (in many boxes)

• 6 years later...

I have the fuel pump and a canister style fuel filter before the fuel pump along with a -6 braided fuel line and redline fuel pressure regulator.  It works well, it is noisy.

For warranty purposes, Carter requires a filter before the pump. 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

[mention=33489]sislane[/mention] which fuel filter to you use next to the pump? thinking about doing this setup myself and running a stainless steel fuel line underneath the car

I used a filter for the 320i. I’m goingbto replace it with a bosch filter next.IMG_6015.HEIC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg

On 2/20/2012 at 10:56 AM, jtmasters68 said:

I just spoke to Carter tech on the phone about the 4070 electric fuel pump, in particular about adapting from the stock 5/16 size fuel line in the 2002 to the 3/8 fuel inlets and outlets on the fuel pump. I didn't think there would be any harm in adapting where needed. However, the tech guy, who was very knowledgeable, said that the Carter 4070 electric pump should be run in a system entirely of 3/8 fuel line, from fuel pickup to the carb. The reason he gave was that the higher flow of the 3/8 fuel line helped keep the fuel pump cool and that adding any restrictions to the line would limit flow and could possibly cause the fuel pump to overheat and fail. I can see how this makes sense.

Nonsense. In that case the pump would overheat whenever the engine idles and uses very little fuel. 

What the tech said might apply to a high pressure FI pump, where most of the fuel is bypassed via the pressure regulator (in the engine compartment) back to the tank.

No amount of skill or education will ever replace dumb luck
1971 2002 (much modified rocket),  1987 635CSI (beauty),  

2000 323i,  1996 Silverado Pickup (very useful)

Too many cars.

I may have got the size wrong on the original 2002 fuel line 1/4 inch or 5/16, but all the rest of his response seems to make sense.

I’ve been using a carter pump for with the stock fuel line for 10 years now and no issue of any kind.

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg

I'm not running a carter, but the in-line style you can get from Ireland.

For pressure control/pre motor filtration I use a Malpassi Filter King Regulator with an in-line pressure sensor.

and DO have some sort of safety cutoff! I purchased a Ford Inertial Cut-off switch off the internet. Wire it in-line to the power to the relay that turns on your fuel pump. In the event of an accident or fender-bender, the circuit is broken, but is easily reset by pressing a button on the top. From what I can tell it's just a large metal ball-bearing in a magnetic/light mechanical press-fit. When a large enough knock comes along, the ball-bearing dislodges and breaks the circuit.

On 7/4/2018 at 6:19 AM, 2002Scoob said:

I'm not running a carter, but the in-line style you can get from Ireland.

For pressure control/pre motor filtration I use a Malpassi Filter King Regulator with an in-line pressure sensor.

and DO have some sort of safety cutoff! I purchased a Ford Inertial Cut-off switch off the internet. Wire it in-line to the power to the relay that turns on your fuel pump. In the event of an accident or fender-bender, the circuit is broken, but is easily reset by pressing a button on the top. From what I can tell it's just a large metal ball-bearing in a magnetic/light mechanical press-fit. When a large enough knock comes along, the ball-bearing dislodges and breaks the circuit.

I said the same thing in a similar post as this.   Please please use a rollover/collision switch.  

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002