• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002ti wannabe project begins

jgerock

• 1 month later...

Well- today I decided to change the rocker trim mounting hardware again.  The car originally had Grey colored narrow clips. Those held the trim on really well.  When I restored the car, I bought replacement kits that uses the white H shaped clips (think those are from the e21).  They didn’t hold up and my ankle knocked the driver’s side loose.  This time, I bought the newest kits from Max- they are the black clips that look like the originals.  Let’s hope they hold the trim on for a while.  Planning on attending the huge Dulles Landing Cars N Coffee tomorrow morning before it gets too hot.

IMG_9912.jpeg

IMG_9913.jpeg

IMG_9915.jpeg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

While driving the 35-40 minutes to the C&C this morning (lights and stereo on), my tattle tale voltage display read only 12.2-12.3 volts. When I turned off the headlights, the display went up to 12.5 volts.  On the return trip (no lights, stereo on), I was getting 12.5-12.7 volts.  

Sigh.  Battery is 1 year old. Alternator isn’t that old. I’ll start checking the voltage regulator tomorrow. Sigh.  

Jim Gerock

Which tattle tale? I had a one of those plug-in LED volt meters fail like that. 

Check voltages with a proper meter.

😎

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

13 hours ago, ray_ said:

Which tattle tale? I had a one of those plug-in LED volt meters fail like that. 

Check voltages with a proper meter.

😎

Dual USB charger with Voltmeter display.  Not a plug in unit.

IMG_1922.jpeg

Edited by jgerock

Jim Gerock

On 9/3/2023 at 11:28 PM, jgerock said:

This morning

A Lada must pretty rare sight in gatherings that side of the pond. Seeing one in same picture with DeLorean and Corvettes from 60's to brand new makes me scratch my head here in the neighbour of Russia. :)

• Like 1

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

Charging system ok. Slight discrepancy between battery and cheap voltage display.  Voltage drops when headlights are on and even more when I run the Spal cooling fan.  Thank goodness I have a battery disconnect. The ti clock won’t drain the battery during periods of non-use. Many times, I’ve connected the battery tender and the battery is almost always fully charged.

IMG_9936.jpeg

IMG_9933.jpeg

• Like 1

Jim Gerock

• 6 months later...

New garage friend added one week ago today.  69 VW Squareback. Lots of work to be done. Of course, the shifter needs immediate attention - every one of my used cars has required fixing for the gearbox selection components.  This car had a fancy new shifter, rebuilt transmission and urethane coupling but the cheap ($2!) nylon bushing at the front of the shift rod was completely gone. I’ll install a nice delrin bushing to fix that issue.  

Oil change and nut/bolt inspection due for the 2002 - Vintage NC trip coming in May.

IMG_0538.jpeg

IMG_0628.jpeg

• Like 3

Jim Gerock

• 1 month later...

While changing the oil (prepping for Trip to Vintage NC), I noticed the lower alternator adjuster arm lower bolt snapped off into the timing cover.  The belt was very loose and the alternator case was rubbing against the water pump.   Tried extracting the broken bolt but that didn’t work, so I tapped an adjacent 20mm deep hole using an M8 tap.  @M3M3 nicely fabricated a longer arm using a piece of scrap steel I had in the garage and the upper portion of my e30 toothed arm.  

Instead of just using a regular hex bolt, I used a lower strut bolt from a 2002, then added some safety wire to help keep the bolt from loosening.   I sourced a new slightly larger belt (10x888) and now should be good to go until I decide to replace the timing cover (oh joy).

IMG_1119.jpeg

IMG_1122.jpeg

IMG_1143.jpeg

IMG_1160.jpeg

IMG_1161.jpeg

IMG_1162.jpeg

• Like 2

Jim Gerock