• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 Ruby in the rough? - Hawthorne, CA - Not mine!

webthread

I spotted this car a long time ago and it has been sitting for quite sometime at a local mechanic's shop. I stopped by today to ask the story on it and see if he would sell any parts off of it. He said he would prefer to sell it as a whole, and he does not have the title. Below are the pics I took with my blackberry.

He said it has all new shifter bushings and that the car runs, but the voltage regulator was removed (probably for a customer's car or something in a pinch?).

The pictures speak for themselves, it's pretty rough, but maybe there's something I don't know about this car that would be of value. This isn't my first old car, but I am new to the 2002 world. I'm basically just doing the guy "a solid", and I of course would hate to see the car get junked along with a number of somewhat usable parts. One thing going for it is it did not smell/feel damp inside and it rained here in So Cal yesterday. I felt under the driver's carpet and it was dry, but I couldn't pull up the carpet padding.

There are some things that don't add up, like the wood grain facia, etc, who knows.... and the frigiking console is cracked so don't ask! it looks like it was last registered in 2002 (coincidentally). Anyway, here are the pics. The guys is friendly, he said he wanted $2,500. I told him he would probably get more money selling the parts off of it 1 by 1, but I think he just wants to free up the space instead of letting it bleed slowly. Anyway, just email me here through the FAQsite and I'll give you the guy's info. Like I said, I have nothing to do with the car except I'm just trying to help a brutha out, this site and its members have already helped me multiple times and I've only had my 2002 for 3 months. I wish I could tell you more about the floors, but I couldn't really see under it. My 6 year old said we should purchase the car immediately! $2,500 seems steep, but I think he just threw that number out and would probably negotiate to get it out of there.

get-attachment6.jpg

get-attachment5.jpg

get-attachment4.jpg

get-attachment3.jpg

get-attachment2.jpg

get-attachment.jpg

get-attachment1-1.jpg

1971 BMW 2002 Chamonix

I'm with you Ray , I looked at the photos & was thinking 4-500 max , lots of rust for a car out here!! not a lot going for it except it's a roundy.

1970 4 speed 2002 (Daily driver/track car ) 
1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell 

Guest Anonymous

People are fooled into thinking because it is from "California" rust free or minimal rust, and true, likely to be less than a rust belt car for sure, that said if the car lived at or near the beach/coast - look out. Had a friend with an 02 that lived on Balboa Island (newport bch), super clean car, fresh riviera paint, no garage - car was done in about 5 years, better than this one but not by much.....

www.alpinabmw2002.com