• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

best manual for my 2002

PappaSquatch

amazon.com .....lol....still doesn't let me thumb through to see what book is better.... I have seen so many of these manual all milked down with less and less information because they are trying to cover too many years and models....I can pick from several manuals online ...was just looking for what you guys are recommending as the "go to guide" ...thanks for the leads

the best manual is the wealth of knowledge in the FAQ section. I think I have printed the majority of them for the garage. There are great writeups on how to get things done yourself. I followed Bill Williams writeup on rebuilding the subframe/rearend and it went great. I have the haynes manual and another I bought from a fellow faq'er and I must say the best reference is this site. I have never rebuilt a car and decided to for a father/son project. We are down to a shell and it looks a bit rough, but man the rear subframe is awesome!

Just my .02 and hopefully I will be driving next summer.

Russ

1970 Grey 02 (the never ending project)
2007 328xi coupe (DD)

and a couple hondas for the kid.

I downloaded one from http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,350909/

and bought a Haynes one off Amazon.

This community is BY FAR your best access to information though.

Cheers

Edward

76 BMW 2002 Arktisblau M42 5 spd - Born 5.21.76 - daily money pit * 06 Aston Martin V8 Vantage 6 spd * 73 Mustang Convertible 351C * 11 Aston Martin Rapide V12 * 15 VW Touareg * 23 Audi e-tron SUV (wife's)

sig_banner.jpg.5aeae468aebf7c560d52fe62d249efbd.jpg

After this board, I find the Haynes manual most helpful because it'll give tips on dis-assembly, where the factory Repair Manual assumes, as a BMW mechanic, you know how to do what they tell you to do,, and that you have all the special BMW tools they tell you to use. The Repair Manual does offer excellent pictures though.

I'm also fortunate to have access to the BMW mechanic who worked on my car the first 20 yrs. I owned it. He's now retired (after 3 heart attacks and quadruple by-pass surgery) but he'll spend phone time with me to diagnose problems and describe the fix. During the years he worked on my car he always let me be with him in the shop and watch what he was doing. That was invaluable.

Bob Napier

watch ebay for the BMW Repair Manual

1 or 2-volume editions, in blue binder

try for the 2-volume edition with the most up dated page inserts

blue binder - factory publication - that all the lesser

publishers attempt to copy

the factory publication is the top dog

but have versions all for reasons given above

start witht this one for $17 buckd amazon

and if yer serious - find the BMW Repair Manual,

and if you had the BMW Owner's handbook for

your car - you wouldn't need the repair manual for all

of the general maintanence repairs.

51ZVSUwGwRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

I have found kernels of information in one manual and not another.

The factory binder is the best bet. Keep an eye out for one.

Haynes book has some easy to follow directions. Get one, keep it in the car.

Chilton had some tidbits that Haynes didn't cover. But the Haynes is still better.

The orange owners handbook has a bunch of info that manufacturers no longer "give out" to car buyers, and tells you how all the gizmos work on your car.

The FAQ is a great resource, but I still like to have my paper.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes