• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

gearbox / transmission failure?

MarkS

Driving to work this afternoon, I noticed an strange noise on the freeway. Not too alarming just a little different. Gear shifter felt a little off, looser than normal, so I exited the freeway. Once I was on the exit, I noticed a few pieces of something fly out from under my car. Not too big but big enough for the guy behind me to notice and back off. I coasted to a stop and the gear shift was flopping around, seemingly not connected to anything anymore. Never heard any huge noise, something just seemed to give.

Had the car towed to my mechanic, Bob at RWL German Imports, (nice guy, wish I didn't see him so often) Will advise once he gives the the diagnosis.

Any guesses in the meantime?

Been there, done that, stained the t-shirt. Could be the shift platform bolts or it might be the coupler itself. Either way, it's a relatively easy fix and a great time to do a shifter rebuild.

Most people (correctly) think I'm nuts, but I did it without removing the exhaust or dropping the driveshaft. Not the easiest way to do it, but certainly the most bone-headed and stubborn.

~Rob

'73 2002 Warmbold Rally Car Imitator

'89 325i Time Capsule

Yup, the unfortunately not too rare multi piece Guibo. If you are lucky neither your transmission output flange or your driveshaft are chewed up. Bad (read expensive) things can happen when these Guibo's fail. Had a clunk in the A/X car and found out 3 hours before the event that I had a 4 piece Guibo. Had the part on hand and made the event !!

post-18922-13667648771344_thumb.jpg

73 2002 Tii Sold

71 2002 Ti Vintage racecar

84 BMW 325 E-Prod racecar Sold

"Yipe" the guibo.

I would recommend that you also replace the "nylock" nuts and bolts as well as the transmission mount, the mount gets soft from excess oil over time and can cause excessive wear on the guibo.

Easy change out.

Good luck!

Anything you want, all you have to do is try.