• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good investment?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey, I'm active duty military and stationed in Italy. My question is: Would it be a good investment to buy a '74 2002 ti. There is one for sale near my house and the asking price is 7000 euro. It seems to be in really good shape and it only has about 100,000 km. I really like these cars, but I don't think that I would keep it for the long run. (I have two kids and the family is growing). Is there a pretty good market for these cars in the states or will I have a really hard time selling it when I get back in two years? Thanks for your input in advance.

if it is a nice car, then go for it. 7000 euro is reasonable if it is in very good condition and rust free. as a side note, it is not actually a ti. it might be badged as a ti, and i might have the ti parts, but it is not actually a ti, which stopped production in '71. fwiw, you are likely looking at a nicely modified regular 2002 with ti parts on it.

Jon

Guest Anonymous

Im in Sicily, I'm going to check out this car this weekend. Maybe get some pictures. I just looked over the ad again and they're not lisiting it as a ti, they're listing it as a 2002 turbo. we'll see this weekend!

-= ACHTUNG !=-

MOST IMPORTANT- write down the VIN number and the

motor number stamped on the drivers side of the motor

where the starter motor mounts to the trans - look down from the drivers side at the number - tell us the numbers you see

should be :

1602 Ti 1580001 ~ 1588670

2002 Ti 1680001 ~ 1696450

note what brand of carbs - and there should be 2 side-draft

carbs - (SOLEX is original - WEBER would be replacements)

the motor room should look like this ::

can't wait for your follow-up.

ARMY STRONG!

BMWti2002.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Call me crazy, but it sounds like one to be very careful of, especially since it doesn't sound like you know these cars super well (and I mean that in a respectful manner.) If it's a genuine Turbo $10k may well be a decent investment, but for anything else it may be much less so. Any way to confirm that 100k? Remember these cars don't have odometers that show beyond 99,999 so it's impossible to tell without service records how many times that thing has gone around. Regardless, confirm exactly what it is, photos and details here, and then have someone knowledgeable check it out. Best of luck.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for all the input. That's why I decided to post before I went to check the car out. I've seen and heard of people getting ripped off with MINIs and Cinquecentos before so I don't want the same to happen to me. I will definitely get some pictures to share!