• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just an hour too late...

C.Des

Last night I saw an ad on Craigslist for a guy parting out a 320i, called him this morning and he said he dropped it off at the scrap yard this morning. He said nobody had any interest in the car or the parts so he sold it for scrap.

I asked him if it still had the interior in it and he said yeah, it was in pretty good shape, with the Recaro seats! (Exactly what I wanted and why I was calling)

He told me where he dropped the car off and I found the phone number for the scrap yard, gave them a call and asked the girl who answered the phone if they would sell some of the parts from a car that was just dropped off there, she replied yes which car? Its the BMW 320... Her response made me sick to my stomach.

"Well we would of sold you some parts but the car went through the crusher about 45 min ago"

Ugh... Another set of vintage Recaro's bites the dust. I really hate missing a deal.

Thats not cool....

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

You might want to double check with the crusher, a lot of times they will pull seats and what not out before crushing.

I asked her if they removed anything before crushing and she said no.

This was a fairly pointless post, but it makes you wonder how many other treasures are lost to the crushers. One mans trash is still another mans treasure.

Hell, somebody donated my car to OPB because they figured it wasn't worth anything more than a tax write off...

Let's end on a high note:

We just got a 320i for my son. It's a full 320is with all the goodies. I told him if he every crashes this car, that I will claim all the pilferable goodies to go into a 2002.

He's not the reckless type, and he is scheduled to take a car control clinic in October. I'll probably never get my hands on those parts.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

To put a slight damper on things - I spotted a 320is in a local pick-n-pull a while back but it was in the 'receiving' section where they put the cars before they process them (drain all the fluids). They pack them so tight you can't even get the doors open enough to get anything out. The seats looked OK - cloth and foam looked pretty good and the steering wheel was nice. It also still had all 4 BBS wheels on it. I went back the next week and couldn't find it and asked about it. They said since the engine was partially disassembled (head, intake, etc was in the trunk), they just sent the car straight back to the crusher without ever putting it in the yard.