• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

the best bang for buck swap

PappaSquatch

Hi guys...newbie here... just bought my first 2002....been looking around at all the cool "mods" some of you guys are doing....the power plant ideas really capture my attention.... i am finding a few engines out there and am getting a bug to pump up the power in mine after i get the first phase completed.... so my question is....whats the best bang for buck swap?... what does and doesn't fit easy?...(i know there will be some fab....but don't want to destroy the option to return to the 2 liter someday).... so tell me wise ones .... what should i keep my eyes peeled for if i do decide to make this part of phase two 002

power?...only know what my m10 has ...not what is an acceptable compromise... found a m30b3.4....180hp or so...again new to 2002 dynamics so not sure if its a good idea

spending?....not in a hurry and enjoy the hunt as much as the kill....but not willing to get back to the "top ramen gourmet days"

hacking? ...would hope i wouldn't have to "shoe horn" the thing in or gut the front end beyond recovery

skill?.... what i don't know i will learn...i work in industrial maint as i/e tech... construction....maritime engineer .. instrument tech...cert pipe welder....many hats over the years and everyday i learn something new...just today i learned one of the FAQ's is swap choices

thanks again i appreciate any and all input

what would this produce (hp) and is the reliability pushed beyond reason?.... i do have another m10 in a 1978 320i as well as a 5 speed sitting beside it .... was considering some kind of build as an option...just something about two extra holes makes me do the happy man "grunt"..... still have time .... suspension and general refresh first...thanks eurotrash

What I plan to do is run a megasquirt ITB'd M10 with a 304 cam. That should provide plenty of power and still be light weight. But then again I like the M10 a lot and dont want a 6 in my car unless it's a Cummins Diesel :P

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

what would this produce (hp) and is the reliability pushed beyond reason?.... i do have another m10 in a 1978 320i as well as a 5 speed sitting beside it .... was considering some kind of build as an option...just something about two extra holes makes me do the happy man "grunt"..... still have time .... suspension and general refresh first...thanks eurotrash

Build that, man! search all the key words I listed. 200 HP is easily attainable..

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

I bought a used M42 with it's transmission, driveshaft and ECU for $700. Total swap was probably around $1200. I only have the M42's stock 136hp (my M10 was around 115hp), but it's fuel injected with digital ignition, gets 30mph and likes to rev.

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

I bought a used M42 with it's transmission, driveshaft and ECU for $700. Total swap was probably around $1200. I only have the M42's stock 136hp (my M10 was around 115hp), but it's fuel injected with digital ignition, gets 30mph and likes to rev.

I am in a similar situation, but because I have the resources and connections necessary to part out a car (which is messy business,) I will start with a rebuildable engine with a trans, driveshaft, harness, ECU, etc. for nothing. Because I will rebuild and upgrade my motor, I'll have a similar amont invested in the swap as Clay, though, but probably far more labor trying to recoup the cost (fetching the parts car, parting it out, selling parts online, scrapping the shell.) The M42 requires no permanent modification to the vehicle to install and is a great starting point for a turbo.

You will get more bang for your buck, as you say, with an M20, though. Buy a super eta (88 325e or 528e) motor or parts car, change the induction and injection system to 325i parts and you have a 2.7L i motor. It'll put out around 180HP and plenty of torque. It will be more nose heavy than an M10 or M42, though, and a turbo M10 or built or turbo M42 can outpace it while retaining better balance but turbocharging and engine building are seldom cheap and easy when done properly.