• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 Race ready 2002 - Lowered price or trade?

ND2002

Is this price out of line?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Is this price out of line?

• Bargain
    • Just Right
    • Too high

1972 2002 with the right stuff. I have listed it before but had high hopes of getting it on the track. No such luck. Selling to make room for other projects.

HP engine built with Forged JE pistons, strong track cam, dual 45 DCOE Webers, MSD ignition, headers with large exhaust

Thick radiator core with new front electric drive fan

Suspension Techniques components in the suspension

Front Discs from a 5 series, Rear drums

5 speed trans and LSD rear

13" rims w 185 60 Hankooks

Custom welded roll cage with MOMO drivers seat and Simpson 5 pt belts

Recaro passenger seat removes easily for competition

Battery relocated to behind passenger seat for balance

Fuel cell with high volume electric pump

All fluids Purple synthetic in trans and LSD

Brake fluid changed, oil changed. All look good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bartenhagen/ for a few photos

Car was built by wealthy dealer and no expense was spared (estimated at over $60k-no way to verify). Car was stripped and painted (was Inka) and any excess weight removed. Note pics for details on the build. No rust. Suspension has hold down loops for ease of trailering.

This car is not street legal. Car was imported from Canada in 2009. Tech (CACC) is not up to date but book is included. This car has not been raced much but is well dialed in.

Asking $11,500 or trade for street legal sports car... or ?

post-17779-13667646304673_thumb.jpg

1972 2002 Full Race Trim

1972 VW Super Beetle - Sleeper Race Trim StreetLegal

If I can't fix it, I don't own it....

Looks pretty clean but I'd like to see more information on the engine, brakes, suspension, drivetrain and cage before ascribing sales value. I built my own track car from ground up so do know what it takes. I will never sell it as the 3000 hours I spent add up to well over $60,000K if I low-ball my time. And that is not counting parts. However I did it for fun and experience, and that was worth the time. Here is what I would want to know:

What is dry weight?

How many miles/hours since built as track car?

Any structural rust?

How many hours on the engine?

2.0 liters or stroker?

What brand of rods?

Does it have billet rockers?

What is the cam duration and what is the static compression?

What is current compression and leakdown?

Standard battery or lightweight?

Why only a 6500 rpm redline?

Vented front disks?

2002 or 320i rear drums?

brake booster delete?

Standard 2002 or tii front struts?

Does it have coilovers? F/R?

What are the shocks and what are the spring rates?

What size anti-roll bars?

Does it have adjustable camber and caster up front? (yes from photo)

Does it have an adjustable rear subframe?

Poly bushings throughout? Solid rear subframe mounts?

5-spd OD or CR?

What gear ratio in the LSD?

What lockup in LSD? Variable ramp?

Is the cage tied into the body?

Does the cage go through the front and rear firewall and tie to suspension points? (appear not from photos)

Any spares included?

If it has all the right bits, a killer engine and reasonably few hours on the components then your price is probably a good deal.

Thanks and best of luck,

Fred '74tii

--Fred

'74tii (Colorado) track car

'69ti (Black/Red/Yellow) rolling resto track car

'73tii (Fjord....RIP)

Fred, Thanks for the detailed list of questions. I will dig out the books and see if I can answer them all. The log book plus the parts list that came with the car have much of the info. Pictures do show a lot of detail, too.

Just for info, are you interested in purchase, or just sharing your build experience?

Thanks

1972 2002 Full Race Trim

1972 VW Super Beetle - Sleeper Race Trim StreetLegal

If I can't fix it, I don't own it....

Just sharing experience. I saw that 80% of poll respondents think $11K is too high and feel this is because they don't know what goes into a race car. From the photos this does not look like a $60K race car, but if the previous owner paid someone to do all the work then I could see that kind of investment.

Because I do all my own work (except final paint), I could certainly get a lot farther with that kind of investment. I have less than $20K into my car, but that is partly because I pulled the suspension and drive train from my '73tii. I am about to double that investment with my "GT3" engine project and wide body upgrade this winter. If you have not seen them before, here are a few photos of my car.

Best, Fred

post-17779-13667646391017_thumb.jpg

post-17779-13667646392833_thumb.jpg

--Fred

'73tii (Fjord....RIP)

Here's a good list of BMW 2002 race cars with photos and full spec sheets.

http://www.race-cars.com/carsold/bmw.htm

and there is also the "Bring a Trailer" site:

http://bringatrailer.com/2009/06/04/bat-exclusive-1972-bmw-2002-race-car/

On Race-cars.com they have sold for anywhere between $5,100 (basic IT car) and $46,995 (2002 DTM GRP 5 Turbo). The OP could look through this to get an idea of where his car stands. As an example, for $12,000 there was a dry-sumped 240 HP flared car weighing 1960 lbs. But of course a used race car is a used race car, which means many of the wearables could be totally beat and require replacement ($$$), and the non-wearables (if there is such a thing on a race car) could be weakened and cracking (more $$).

The upside of the OP's car is that it was been fully gone through and is fresh and clean. It would be a good basis for further mods.

Fred '74tii

--Fred

'73tii (Fjord....RIP)