• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MIG welder

BlindRhino

Might depend on where you live. My friend in Ma. has a Miller, I live in Cleveland so I have a Lincoln. I would also suggest buying from a welding shop. The ones that are sold at places like Lowes are not quite the same thing.

I have this one and like it a lot.

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/Equipment/Pages/product.aspx?product=K2471-1

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

I have a Miller 135. It has been replaced by the 140. Excellent little 110v machine. I did a lot of work on the 72 with it. Spend some time on www.millerwelds.com i too think that itis best to buy from a local dealer. Lincoln and Miller are the best brands. A voc tech class will get you started properly if you can arrange it.

I own a Miller 135, the 140 replaced it. Hobarts are nice but their voltage controls on their 140 are non-infinent where as the Millers are which makes it nice to do a lot of work. Hobart is also Miller if ya didnt know so many of the parts are the same. I did a lot of sheetmetal welding with the Miller 135's when I was in high school and they did quite well.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Not to hijack, but expand...

For small, home shop usage, is there an advantage for a 220 unit versus a 110 unit? Cost less, or more? I see several 110 units in a lower price range. I'm now thinking a 220 unit would be overkill.

When I had my house rewired, I had them add in two 220 circuits in the garage for a future compressor and welder. I have the compressor, but am still running it off of 110. It only sees occasional use.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

I originally wanted a 220v welder but the price difference between the two stopped me. For everything I do my 110v is all I need. If I have to weld something big I have my torches and or a pro welder down the street.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

Thanks guys!

John, the welder you have is the one I was eyeballing at the local shop. The guys there said it was one of the better and easy to use 110v they had. As well it would do down to 22 or 24 gauge steel ok, and I think the '02 has a bunch or 20 gauge in it.

Steve, I did the same thing. Wired the 220 in one spot so I could do that and the big compressor on 220v is GREAT! The guys at the welding shop said that a dual 110v/220v is also good, but for my non everyday welding the 110v that John has is the better unit overall. I am just going to do sheetmetal(rockers and trim holes)nothing heavy duty (bridges, aerial cranes, tanks, howitzers)

Best,

Russ

1970 Grey 02 (the never ending project)
2007 328xi coupe (DD)

and a couple hondas for the kid.

Thanks for running this thread, Russ.

I'll probably go for a 110v unit when I'm ready. The wires are all in the conduit should I (or the next homeowner) go for 220v.

I need to talk to my electrician about finally switching the compressor to 220v. I need to see what type of plug & outlet I need to install in the wall box.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Steve,

Not sure how to put this, but I am an electrical ninny since I tried to change an outlet when I was 16, and got some house current...so I went to Lowes, found someone who knew what they were talking about or at least I believed they did. They showed me how to wire up the compressor, the plug needed with the appropriate gauge of wire, the box, everything I needed, then proceeded to show me how to do the master wiring on the panel box.

I bought the stuff, (the wiring was already in the conduit for the 220) and did it all my self and have had no repercussions.(house burning down, massive shocks when turning on the compressor, etc.)

It is really easy to do! Probably took me longer time wise than it should, but it works and I had my neighbors dad who is an electrician come look at it when I was done and he said "looks nice".

If I did it, you can too!

Russ

1970 Grey 02 (the never ending project)
2007 328xi coupe (DD)

and a couple hondas for the kid.

Try to go with gas capable as the quality of the welds is night and day. Flux wire is a mess and will require alot of cleanup. The high end 110V units come gas capable. Pick up a small bottle on craigslist. You will need a high pressure valve installed.

Yes, get a 75/25 mix. I run it with .025 wire. but I want some .033, either or practice with it and you'll get some nice welds. I just did some welding on my tractors loader bucket and frame today with my 135 and they came out nice!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2