• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

peace sign

hey you faq'rs-

how many flash the peace sign to other drivers? like when passing or when another courteous driver yields for you?

it's something i've done for years, about 30, and it struck me recently that maybe nobody knows what that means anymore. i specifically mean the sign of index and middle fingers in a 'V'.

anyone?

robert w.

Satan! Hehehe

Well I know of a couple meanings, my favorite which comes from the Hebrew letter 'V', or Vav. It literally means spear or nail, and 'The Nail' is Satan in Satanism.

But I always remember it being used for 'Victory' after WWII.

J Swift
Global Formula Racing (Oregon State University)

1972 Opel GT "Mae"

I usually stick my hand out the window with pinky down, ring half up (sometimes down), middle and pointer up in the peace and thumb at 45* from pointer. It's sorta something ya almost gotta see :P

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Not really, the index and pointer are open instead of closed and the pinky's down. It's sorta my weird version of whats up :P

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

I use the two finger sign, but mostly I have my index and middle finger together and show the signal with the back of my fingers facing the recipient and make an upward motion with my hand.

That means 'peace', right?

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

hey you faq'rs-

how many flash the peace sign to other drivers? like when passing or when another courteous driver yields for you?

it's something i've done for years, about 30, and it struck me recently that maybe nobody knows what that means anymore. i specifically mean the sign of index and middle fingers in a 'V'.

anyone?

robert w.

I give the peace sign, then if they do not return in kind, I drop my pointer finger! :-)

I do remember, back in the day, when the 70's 2002 were the only cars to have the 'flashy light thingy". ..... And there were more of them on the road to 'flash' at!!

-mpkwy

CARS:Past

1966 VW Bug

1971 2002 (BOUGHT IN 1972) (totaled, back in my sordid youth)

1975 2002 (mntgrun (sold)

1973 2002 (Sahara, unmolested, Sold, sniff-sniff)

asst Honda accords and Outbacks

Current:

06 Outback

04 Camry

• 2 weeks later...

I was never too keen on the flashing of headlights since it's pretty much the universal way of telling fellow motorists to 'Slow down. There's a cop ahead!' After having had the wind taken out of my '02 sails on too many occasions, I've since become a waver. I'd much rather say 'hello' by waving than to send mixed messages with the headlights.