• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

School me. M20 + Carbs?

because any cool car from the 60's with an inline six would have had triple sidedraft webbers.

that's why.

that was my first thought too. If you're not totally into power, but more into cool sound and era-correct looking this would be it if you want a inline six.

A built 2.7i will embarrass an S14 at the fraction of the cost.

Ooh i wouldn't say that. A built 2,7i (naturally aspirated) would top out at ~250hp (with dbilas single intake, the correct way of cranks, head, cams and so on) a S14 Evo Engine with 2,5l can go way further to around 320hp and it'd be still okay as a daily driver.

Though my choice for the 2002 would be the 2l S14 - it just suits the 2002 better regarding power output and how it revvs.

My personal opinion: If you're really into it, you have the time, the money and the stamina - do it! If you're just into more power and want to finish your project in the next 2-3months, go for a M20 swap with injection. It'd still be way cool and a screamer.

Edit: Or look at this guy http://www.02forum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2383#p21162

I have a gray market E21 6 cylinder that came with the Solex 4A1 4 barrel carb and we put in a 2.7 stroker engine on it with that same carb.

The car is a beast VERY quick and huge amounts of torque. The carb is delicate but works beautiful if properly tuned. You can get one out of an old Mercedes Benz.

Some notes:

1) E21 and Early E30 had regular distributors newer ones had motronic distributors on the front of the engine but kept the original distributor shaft on the block so you can put the regular distributor there! (That's what I did) Just take off the cap, put in the distributor.

2) 4 barrel setup is awesome on M20 but you can always go with 3 Webber 50's or 45's sidedraft!

If you need any help give me a call I'd be glad to let you know how it went for me.

Konrad.

I will definitely call you... so what your saying is even the motronic m20's still can have the older distributor's mounted to them? And will Weber 40's not be enough? I would most likely do some mild headwork and if I can use a m20b25 motor probably build a 2.7 or 2.8 stroker.

I'm not looking for serious power, just a nice improvement over the m10.

1988 Bmw E30 M50 Turbo

1975 Bmw 2002

weber 40's would be perfect as the M20's cylinders are smaller displacement than the M10. Even a 2.7l M20 would have the same cylinder displacement as a 1.8L m10. 45's wouldn't do anything but suck more gass, 50's barely improve over 45's on a seriously built M10.

Here's the only website I've been able to find triple side draft M20 manifolds. http://www.extrudabody.com/servlet/the-231/M-dsh-044-BMW-M20-Triple/Detail

I will definitely call you... so what your saying is even the motronic m20's still can have the older distributor's mounted to them? And will Weber 40's not be enough? I would most likely do some mild headwork and if I can use a m20b25 motor probably build a 2.7 or 2.8 stroker.

I'm not looking for serious power, just a nice improvement over the m10.

Yeap you just take off a cap where the Euro distributor goes and the gears for the distributor will be there.

Sure you can go with a 40 should be enough.

I'm running a quad jet 34/34 56/56 4A1.

Konrad.

I'm no longer affiliated with Maximillian Importing Company in any way, please address any questions directly to them.  -Thanks.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E21 320/6 2.7 Stroker 1981
E23 730 1978

02 with a 6 cylinder should be really fun to look and hear at. 6 cyl sound on 02 chassis sounds cool.

I'm no longer affiliated with Maximillian Importing Company in any way, please address any questions directly to them.  -Thanks.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E21 320/6 2.7 Stroker 1981
E23 730 1978

I really appreciate all the help guys, and I guess I will sit down and begin looking around for an m20 and go from there. It will be hard to pull apart and change a reliable engine but it will be a lot of fun I hope.

I guess also if it isn't worth it or I can't get it tuned and running right I can go always go back to a stock setup.

1988 Bmw E30 M50 Turbo

1975 Bmw 2002

any economy issues get quickly forgotten when you open the bonnet

Is that your car or just some pictures you found? Any specs?

It's my mates car and I posted a link to the build further up this thread.

we can't see the pics though...wanna post some more :)

because any cool car from the 60's with an inline six would have had triple sidedraft webbers.

that's why.

that was my first thought too. If you're not totally into power, but more into cool sound and era-correct looking this would be it if you want a inline six.

A built 2.7i will embarrass an S14 at the fraction of the cost.

Ooh i wouldn't say that. A built 2,7i (naturally aspirated) would top out at ~250hp (with dbilas single intake, the correct way of cranks, head, cams and so on) a S14 Evo Engine with 2,5l can go way further to around 320hp and it'd be still okay as a daily driver.

Though my choice for the 2002 would be the 2l S14 - it just suits the 2002 better regarding power output and how it revvs.

My personal opinion: If you're really into it, you have the time, the money and the stamina - do it! If you're just into more power and want to finish your project in the next 2-3months, go for a M20 swap with injection. It'd still be way cool and a screamer.

Edit: Or look at this guy http://www.02forum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2383#p21162

When talking performance, one has to to take cost into consideration.

I was comparing a 2.7i to a stock S14. A built 2.7i will cost about half what a stock S14 would to build. Building an S14 to produce 320HP is way expensive. I doubt it would qualify as a decent daily driver.

A 2002 with a stock M20 is already a significant improvement from an M10. And while carbs have nostalgic value to some, and others think they sound cool, they do not have a performance advantage over injection. In fact, I would argue that they have no advantage over carburetors whatsoever.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

• 6 years later...
On 3/5/2011 at 9:50 AM, Kpeters said:

I have a gray market E21 6 cylinder that came with the Solex 4A1 4 barrel carb and we put in a 2.7 stroker engine on it with that same carb.

The car is a beast VERY quick and huge amounts of torque. The carb is delicate but works beautiful if properly tuned. You can get one out of an old Mercedes Benz.

Some notes:

1) E21 and Early E30 had regular distributors newer ones had motronic distributors on the front of the engine but kept the original distributor shaft on the block so you can put the regular distributor there! (That's what I did) Just take off the cap, put in the distributor.

2) 4 barrel setup is awesome on M20 but you can always go with 3 Webber 50's or 45's sidedraft!

If you need any help give me a call I'd be glad to let you know how it went for me.

Konrad.

So attach the Jetronic distributor and what else do we need besides the carbs