• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First 2002.....should I be worried?

1973bmw

My dad had a 1600 while I was growing up. He would pile me and my brothers in it and drive up and down the street fast. Well it seemed fast to me. That was more than 30 years ago and now I find myself in a spot to buy a 2002 and live that thrill again. I have been searching high and low for a good solid car as I do not have all the tools and time to work on them. So I wanted one rust free, daily driver, with AC (wife and kids want it to be a vacation car). I think I have found one, and I was wondering if you all could look at the post? Let me know what you think...good...ba...and possibly ugly...

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/bmw/2002/1196219.html

Thanks...

Don't worry. Do your homework. Treat it as if you were buying a house.

That car was sold on Ebay last year for less than the asking price. Looks solid, worth looking at if you are interested. Inspect the car in person with someone well versed in 2002s, or ask for an independent inspection by someone well versed in these cars. bimrs.org has a list of independent BMW shops who could help. If the seller refuses, walk away.

What I see from the pics:

Front upper strut mounts look original and should be replaced.

Radiator, needs paint and should be replaced if is original.

Windshield wiper blades look too big, need 15'.

Window tint, not factory, looks to dark to be legal in some states.

Ansa exhaust = kinda loud compared to stock.

Added gages on dash.

Look like original door seals, B pillar oxidizes and makes a poor seal = loud.

What can't be seen is how well the car was mechanically maintained. Could need new undercarriage rubber, shocks, brakes, tires, motor mounts, etc.

Learn as much about the car as possible, these are wonderful cars when cared for and maintained well.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

You know, it's a good looking car. Having all the records is nice. Still, nothing beats putting your eyes on it. What issues I see (as listed above) are easily, and fairly inexpensively, dealt with. I'd be interested to track the history of the car, since it shows as being a one-owner car, purchased in Oregon. It has a Texas inspection sticker in the windshield, and it's being sold in MI. Not that it's a bad thing, as long as the records make sense. But the car has moved around.

If I wanted something that original, I'd certainly take a look at it. You couldn't build that car for that price (unless you do everything yourself, and even then the parts...).

-David

1972 2002 - 2577652 Follow the fun

Hi,

The '73 looks very clean and straight. If it is rust free I would say that is a solid buy. I like it. But remember, people usually only post the nicest photos...

The '76 is nice but with a few small things wrong that I can see. The doors don't line up well and the spare wheel well looks suspect, but It could be a simple adjust and undercoatingin the well. Just take note of it.

I would recommend getting a friend that knows 2002's and their quirks with you when you go to look at hte car. Or make a friend on this forum that will go with you. Im sure there would be someone close and willing. We all love these cars even if it is not ours.

But post in the general section, you will get more responses there.

Good luck with your search. Hope you find one that suits you.

Regards

Jacques

'71 2002 Malaga, fun weekender

'70 2002ti Colorado, Restoration/money pit

'74 2002 turbo in my dreams, sideways...

I think the square tail was posted in the Cars section by a FAQ member. Recently restored by his friend as I recall.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

The red '73 was up for sale for quite some time in Dallas - he wanted $8,500 for it. I'm not sure what the final selling price was, but I do know that the Michigan dealer bought it from the original owner here. It was not an original Dallas car, but it had spent most of its time in this region, so it should be very light on rust.

Before it was sold, my mechanic had it in his shop and he told me that it was a very clean and nice car.

1973 BMW 2002 Sahara

I think I am going to go for it...But I am going to offer less.

Thanks for the info.

Going for the '73?

In my opinion, the best year. Bumpers are far enough out to offer protection, and the dash has lighted heater/defroster controls.

Best of luck.

Andrew Wilson

Yep the 73. Year I was born too!

I am going to ask about those items that were brought up in this chat. They are good items. Thank you guys very much. I will keep you posted on the details, and I am sure that I will hvae more questions once i get her here to Georgia....now I needd the kids to think of a name for her...

Very exxcited!

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at this poisting, would a 2002 that needs minor restoration work, would a price range of 10K plus be average or is it possible to get a 2002 around 5K with minor issues?

I'm ok with doing minor restoration work like replacing mechanicals, upholstery, repaint, bondo, ect, but I would not be willing to pay for a car that needs sheet metal work, replacing the engine, yada yada.

If anyone knows what kind of pricing I would be looking at, I would appreciate it!

Looking to help people restore 2002s until I can have one of my own to work on.

Looking at this poisting, would a 2002 that needs minor restoration work, would a price range of 10K plus be average or is it possible to get a 2002 around 5K with minor issues?

I'm ok with doing minor restoration work like replacing mechanicals, upholstery, repaint, bondo, ect, but I would not be willing to pay for a car that needs sheet metal work, replacing the engine, yada yada.

If anyone knows what kind of pricing I would be looking at, I would appreciate it!

Hard to say, in the Northeast, for 5K, doubtful. SF Bay Area, probably. Buy the car with the least amount of rust is always the best way to go. Price depends on your budget and comfort level. Happy hunting, if you find something, post it.

Andrew Wilson