• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Indycar Honda Alabama Grand Prix

02for2

Just returned today from the Grand Prix - 2nd annual.

My 2nd trip.

My wife's co. (she's VP Sales & Mktg.), does the catering and concessions for the event, so I get to tag-along and get an all-access pass, incl. Hot Pit pass. But the park also allows people to bring pop-up canopies, coolers, lawn chairs, etc. My wife is there generally in meet & greet mode, so isn't deeply involved in the actual operation there, freeing her up to 'play' with me.

There was a '74 2002A parked in the classic paddock belonging to wh400, in really nice shape! I left a note for John, but was so busy and had limited email access, so we never hooked up - :( . But his car is a real Beauty! There were a handful of BMW guys from Nashville at the event who owned 2002s, but drove their other beemers, and I sold a few LED conversion kits to them.

We are longtime friends of the Andrettis (20+ yrs.) and the Sam Schmidt Motorsports crew, so we spent a lot of time in their paddocks. Last year, I assisted in pushing Dempsey Team Mazda's car up the hill when their cart's clutch failed, so 'McDreamy' aka Patrick Dempsey invited us to have lunch with them on Qualifying Day (I've never seen his TV show and only once saw him in a movie, which I believe was a plus!). Really super guys!

Stayed in Trussville at the same hotel as the SS Motorsports crew and so shared car talk and adult beverages with them every night across the street at the applebees.

The first night, they left early (12am) and I stayed for a nightcap. While nursing it, a guy sat beside me, saw my credentials and we started talking about the race, racing, and cars in general. He said he was with the Belardi Indy Lights team and introduced himself as Brian.

The next night, he and the crew were there again and we chatted more. Brian said he'd played football at Univ. of Colorado Boulder in the late 80's. I'm a fair college football fan and remember UCB's 1990 Nat'l Championship win with a Brian Belardi playing defensive end. Sure enough, I was talking to the team owner - Brian Belardi! Brian was gracious enough to invite my wife and I to a team breakfast on Race Day. His #4 car had placed 4th in qualifying with their driver, Jorge Goncalvez who was driving with a broken right foot held together with surgical screws. Brian predicted they'd finish on the podium, but the race was chaotic and the #4 car went to the back of the field early. But, in the closing laps, Jorge managed to move up through the field to finish P4 - Belardi's best finish this year. Their other car, the #9 car, finished in 9th, so a good showing all round.

Saturday, I was invited to a legends breakfast where I once again met Bobby Rahal, in fact we sat together. Bobby loves our LED taillights and I mentioned that mac now owned his original Tii. I knew I'd see Bobby, so jotted down mac's car's vin and had it in my wallet. Bobby confirmed this was indeed his old Tii and asked that I let mac know that if he wanted, Bobby would be interested in contact info (i'm thinking silver Sharpie autograph on the dash or such) - Bobby still lives in Columbus, OH. Mac, if you're reading this, and interested, send me your contact info via my email button and I'll forward it.

Both Bobby and I are Porsche guys to an extent and we spoke at length about them, but the chat returned repeatedly to the 2002.

Amazing experience! I shot no fewer than 4000 pics and it's gonna take me weeks to edit and organize them all. Anyone within 500 miles of Birmingham is crazy not to attend this event!

Barber Motorsport Park is the best venue I've seen for such an event. Instead of getting a 'bleacher seat', the park offers a wide expanse of hillsides and valleys right next to the Track. If you like racing, you're crazy not to put this on on the calendar! Continental GT, Rolex Porsche 250, Mazda Star series, Indy Lights and Indycars all in the same weekend!

Cheers!

post-17544-13667640947599_thumb.jpg

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

Missed the event due to a previous engagement. The Heart of Dixie CCA chapter has a BMW Corral and is usually well attended.

Earl in Huntsville

BMW CCA #18736 HOD

74 02Lux

02 M Roadster

72 Volvo 1800ES

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

Will you be at the Baltimore Grand Prix in Sept? Indy and ALMS will be there. Our chapter is also sponsoring a corral there. Tickets purchased

Not certain yet. My wife's co. is talking to the people involved, but no deal has been struck.

If they don't get the biz, I'll probably have to pass due to other demands on our wallet this year. If they do, then for sure I'll be there because all expenses will be paid! They send me along because of the people I know and can introduce my wife to, which can lead to further opportunities for them.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet