• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crane xr3000. Which model?

jrhone

I have the Crane XR700 and went with the 700-0292 model. This was because it has the greatest number of 4 cyl. shutter wheels. Ended up using the #218 shutter wheel.

IIRC, the XR700 requires resistance to the coil and the XR3000 does not. My '76 already had the resistance wire and black coil, so I went with the 700.

The difference between models (within the XR3000 line) are the accessories. The 'head unit' is the same.

Crane XR3000-0231 appears to be the one which is more 4-cyl. weighted, but to be sure, check that it comes with both #218 and #220 shutter wheels.

Either will work with the Bosch dizzy as they both have shutter openings at 90°s to one another, but I found the #218 fit the most securely to the dizzy shaft. I know of people using the other shutter wheel with good results, but for my money, the #218 wheel fit the best.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet