• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

question for early (plastic runner) tii gurus

wegweiser

Anyone else find the clearance between Nr 1 plastic intake runner and fuel return hose awful damn tight on early tiis? I had to REMOVE the runner tube just to fit the new fuel hose on the pump! I haven't reinstalled the tube yet...awaiting new O rings and it's too damn cold here).

Maybe previous installer didn't push the runner tub on to the intake far enough?

My question: is this a common issue? It's been decades since I've owned an early tii!

Thanks Y'all!

paul

post-2748-13667640151239_thumb.jpg

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

Given to me, after having sat in a barn for 15 years. Original and unmolested. Here's photos!

Oh yeah... plenty of patina!

I've given it the name "Felix". I'll have it running by Sunday night.

paul

post--1-1366764015226_thumb.jpg

post--1-13667640153403_thumb.jpg

Paul Wegweiser

Guest Anonymous

By the looks of that last picture you must have been confident the brakes were good......as they say, don't let your car kill you.....even when mine is up on stands and auxiliary jacks supporting I still sometimge get uneasy under there - liked it much better when I had the stands bolted to the frame. Just me.

www.alpinabmw2002.com

No danger here. All 4 wheels locked up, 3 out of 4 tires flat, resting on dirt. Used my Subaru to drag it sideways into my parking spot on gravel, when I got it home.

I've since pulled all the shoes and pads (and installed new tires) so it can roll easily while I work on it, in the safety of the shop.

Things that still miraculously work on the car:

wiper motor

all lights except left turn signals

heater fan (truly astounding!)

horn

electric fuel pump under car

starter

concentrating on all fuel lines and clamps, then rehab on the brakes....then DRIVING the HELL out of it.

Still untested: master cylinders, slave cylinder, Kugelfischer and warm up regulator.

I bet with some coaxing, even the cold start valve will squirt!

Gonna keep the original Becker Europa radio. All I want to hear is the engine anyway. :)

Paul

Paul Wegweiser

Try flipping the runner.

That was my initial thought. Didn't look like it would fit well...but when it warms up (it's about 28 degrees here) I'll try again. When it's this cold, I fear cracking one of those pretty plenum tubes. Just brought it to the shop and there's no room inside for it yet.

Thanks!

Paul

Paul Wegweiser

Try flipping the runner.

That was my initial thought. Didn't look like it would fit well...but when it warms up (it's about 28 degrees here) I'll try again. When it's this cold, I fear cracking one of those pretty plenum tubes. Just brought it to the shop and there's no room inside for it yet.

Thanks!

Paul

jgerock has some spare plastic runners.

Try flipping the runner.

Thanks!

Paul

Brackets between the plenum and intake/head in place? When it warms up, loosen the clamps on the runners & give the plenum a little hip check toward the passenger side.

Hi Paul,

Here is a pic of Hugo's engine...you can see the intake runner and the fuel inj. lines pretty clearly. Notice the "spacer" I have on there (stock) just to the right of #1 runner....this helps keep the lines separated and "aligned". My bet is your lines have deformed from the heat over the years, that's all. I have more pics (close-ups) that I'll gladly send you if it will help during your work.

Good luck and have fun!

John

post-2748-13667640157619_thumb.jpg

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

Paul, I find the same problem as you. I take the runner off to get at the fuel hose. A pain for sure.

Not sure how original you are taking the car but if you find the original NORMAR type clamps to fit those runners, let me know. I had to bastardize some Porsche ones to fit, they were a scooch to small, had to find new screws for the Normar clamps

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Sorry Paul.....I misread your question (I was thinking injection lines)....to answer your question, "yes" it's "damn tight"! :-)

Don't know if you can tell in the pic....you can barely see the return line (mine is stock cloth)....but as I recall, you "can" get at the clamp. It's just tight.

One thing I learned during the restoration is that clamp placement during assembly "can be critical" later on....this is one of those times that proves that to be true.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

Good info Fellas. Thanks! I forgot that the main plenum can be shifted slightly on it's brackets to the head.

Bill... I had to cut (by hand...with a bare hacksaw blade) the screws on the clamps holding the plenum pipes. If you want their eviscerated remains for replating, let me know and I'll mail them to you. I'll replace all clamps with OE BMW ones (I'm very particular about using good German clamps) , but not worrying about vintage correct BMW clamps.

I think one of the OE style clamp brands is NORMA...not NORMAR by the way....am I mistaken? Zebra makes decent ones also.

Thanks again guys!

Paul

Paul Wegweiser

IF it is any consolation, the aluminum runner for # 1 is also pretty tight at the pressure maintanance valve. I have to remove the valve before I can remove the intake runner. The intake studs and vertical throttle body rod will not allow the runner to tilt out of the way.

I DO have a set of plastic runners, but am saving them for a potential '72 tii purchase in the future.

tiiengineclose.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"