• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to identify motor?

lumbergh17

Hey guys,

Been searching around and haven't found solid info. I just bought a 2002, and it came with a spare motor, and on the head is stamped e21 2.0.

So obviously it is from an e21 but on wikipedia it shows a bunch of different variants. Is that true that there are a few variants and how would I know which one I have?

Thanks for any insight.

1988 Bmw E30 M50 Turbo

1975 Bmw 2002

just above the starter. On E21s as well as 2002s, the motor # & VIN match. Post the number you find and we should be able to figure out year and whether it was a US car. It would most likely be from a US spec E21, 77-79; later cars would have the 1.8 liter engine.

Of course it could be an E21 head on a 2002 block, but the motor number will reveal that.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

thanks for the help, I'm back at school now (5hrs from home) so I can't check until I can have someone go look at it.

I'm thinking it might be a 76 motor with 320i head like stated above as the owner had two cars, and parted out one to keep the one I bought going.

Is there any significant change / horsepower increase in the two? The motor in the car now is a stock '75 motor.

1988 Bmw E30 M50 Turbo

1975 Bmw 2002

if there is a difference, it is insignificant. the e21 head is a full hemispherical, the pistons are still flat tops. so there might be a slight difference in compression. i am told the head flows better than the earlier 121/e12. the 76 had a 3.91 rear diff, but also different emission controls than the 75 and before. if you examine the hi compression piston for the e21 head, the pop top is kinda like a half moon, vs the baby grand piano for the e12

Ken Inn