• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carb Mystery Spot, Please Help!

bracohen

Finished up the rebuild, went well except we forgot if there was anything over top of this? And we are assuming this is the proper place for it... and also wondering what it is for. Pretty much it's our only left over part, old one has the cylindrical shape, new one doesn't. Please identify and explain for us, thanks. Weber 38/38 Electric Choke.

5523739098_a68052bf14_z.jpg

5523735088_7cd859fcb0_z.jpg

looks like the accelerator pump diaphram to me.

You need the one which fits your application, exactly the same as the one you removed - it is PN# 55535.001. Nothing else, just the diaphram.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

body casting that looks like it's supposed to have another accelerator pump but doesn't... 32/36 Webers have the same setup--it's meant to be used when that carb is built for cars that have no room for the pump mechanism on the other side of the carb. I've never seen either a 32/36 or 38/38 with accelerator pumps on both sides.

Bottom line--ignore it; it's not used on your carb.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

@ Mike,

Yes, you're correct, there is a mirror spot on the casting for swapping the acc. pump to the other side.

I misunderstood, the OP didn't say they had already installed the acc. pump gasket on the other side, so that's what I thought they were inquiring about. I agree it's not needed.

I've never seen a weber downdraught carb with 2 acc. pumps installed either. But, it's not there because space on some vehicles may not accept the pump, it's there for dual downdraught configurations so you can link both carbs.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

@ Mike,

Yes, you're correct, there is a mirror spot on the casting for swapping the acc. pump to the other side.

I misunderstood, the OP didn't say they had already installed the acc. pump gasket on the other side, so that's what I thought they were inquiring about. I agree it's not needed.

I've never seen a weber downdraught carb with 2 acc. pumps installed either. But, it's not there because space on some vehicles may not accept the pump, it's there for dual downdraught configurations so you can link both carbs.

Cheers!

Sorry, my internet communication skills are seriously lacking because I don't know what all the doo hicky's are called. I am learning though, slowly. Now this thread may die and maybe someone like me will read it one day and gather a grain of knowledge.

• 8 years later...
On 3/13/2011 at 8:30 PM, bracohen said:

Sorry, my internet communication skills are seriously lacking because I don't know what all the doo hicky's are called. I am learning though, slowly. Now this thread may die and maybe someone like me will read it one day and gather a grain of knowledge.

You were right back in 2011. I just was looking at my carb yesterday wondering what that other accelerator pump spot was for.