• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Handbrake is loose

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

mine does the same thing. I pulled up the boot and it didn't seem like anything was broke, so I didn't fix it. When the brake is on there's no wobble.

Guest Anonymous

If you look closely, you'll find that the ears welded to the body have worn holes in 'em and the pin that passes thru the brake handle is sloppy in these holes. You might take the pin to a hardware store and see if you can find some bronze shoulder bushings that can be pressed into the sloppy holes. You might also find the hole in the brake lever itself is worn. If that's the case, find another handle or press bushings into it too.

Mine have been loose for years; I just live with it! When it breaks, I'll fix it.

Cheers

Mike

Nevada '69

Sahara '73

• 21 years later...
6 hours ago, C.Flint said:

My handbrake responded well to this simple fix...

Yes, but we didn't have that kit available 22 years ago!

• Haha 2

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

worked for me also, but I duplicated the function with (gasp) SAE inch parts of similar dimensions.  There are also a few posts about it, with someone offering a kit of parts on the FAQ some years back.  IIRC, the key parts are the little very thin thrust bearings and washers that go on either side of the lever in between the sheet metal mounts, filling the gap and allowing you to apply a wee bit of tension to take up the slop.  The trick is to get it all assembled without loosing bits to the ground below.  Extra hands and a few bits of tape help.