• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

75 2002 Sleeper - M20B32, ITB, LSD

tinkwithanr

Overall I think these should be pretty original on a 2002. All the flares I've seen before, whether they were pig cheek, box flare, gruppe 2, or turbo flares, is that they always stay below the beltline trim. Which always leaves an awkward transition between the upper and lower sections of the body. My idea with these flares is to keep the main design cues and body shape (the indent that runs below the stainless trim along with the sloping curve that follows below that) while pulling the whole body out to cover the extra track width. The majority of the extra width will be carried by the section of the body directly above the beltline trim, which includes the hood, trunk, and body below the rear windows. 

There is still a lot of design work and details to work out, including how to mold in the rear bumper, rocker panels, and come up with a new front air dam. But hopefully this design will end up being somewhat unique, while still carrying a strong period/motorsport vibe. 

I mean honestly, how hard can it be??

Brilliant.

I've never really considered the fact that none of the flares reach above the beltline. Granted, I think there's something to be said about the stark contrast that standard flares tend to provide. That contrast really seems to give an aggressive look, while the integration above the beltline may give the 02' a bit of a bloated shape. Nevertheless I'm quite curious to see what the finish product turns out to be, and kudos to you for some truly original ideas and designs.

Alex
-'75 2002 with M42

-Spec E30

-'91 318is

Are you essentially (not literally) going to be using the turbo flares as an inner fender?  Or are you spanning out past them?  And like I said on the FB post, I hope you integrate the new lines into the doors. I think flares look unfinished sometimes because the doors are left stock.  The only one I have seen around is that silver one with the 320 front bumper.  Its doors look very well done.

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

Wow! Unique - yes definitely. Whether it's going to be good or bad - we'll see. Hurry up, can't wait!

BTW I'm getting pretty jealous for you tools.

"how hard can it be??" - Just the right attitude!

Tommy

Thanks Tommy. Trust me, I'm as curious as you are to see how this is gonna turn out.

Brilliant.

I've never really considered the fact that none of the flares reach above the beltline. Granted, I think there's something to be said about the stark contrast that standard flares tend to provide. That contrast really seems to give an aggressive look, while the integration above the beltline may give the 02' a bit of a bloated shape. Nevertheless I'm quite curious to see what the finish product turns out to be, and kudos to you for some truly original ideas and designs.

My hope with these is to retain the aggressive look that box flares normally give an '02, but loose the 'aftermarket' feel that is associated with them. Ideally I want this to look like an OEM solution, much like the e46 M3 has a wider, more aggressive body than the stock coupe while still looking sleek and graceful.  I also know what I don't want them to look like, and if it starts to make the car feel bloated or fat as opposed to muscular and sleek, I'll just start over and figure out a new plan of attack.

nice collection of bronzit E30 doors and hood....another project?

Good eye, those are remnants of a parts car from a couple years ago. They were in such good shape I didn't have the heart to scrap them. Not sure what I'll do with them yet.

Are you essentially (not literally) going to be using the turbo flares as an inner fender?  Or are you spanning out past them?  And like I said on the FB post, I hope you integrate the new lines into the doors. I think flares look unfinished sometimes because the doors are left stock.  The only one I have seen around is that silver one with the 320 front bumper.  Its doors look very well done.

The shape of a turbo flare more or less, though they will be wider than the original ones. That is the whole reason I'm not using them anymore, they won't cover the wheels and tires. 

I'm definitely open to overlapping the doors some, though it really just depends on how it looks with all the panels on the car. My next step is to put the doors, hood and trunk back on so I can mock up what I have in my head and see how it looks in the flesh.  I think it will really come down to how drastic the flare pulls out from the stock body lines. 

Any pics of the silver car you're talking about? Don't think I've seen it.

If you decide to sell the turbo flares I wouldn't mind acquiring them!

They will probably be for sale shortly, though fair warning I don't have the driver side front flare. It's been NLA from bmw for a while now. I was just going to purchase a fiberglass rep from the FAQ store, but hadn't gotten around to it yet.

Tinker Engineering - 2014

Mica - 2000 BMW 323i - The one that started it all

Fiona - 1975 BMW 2002 - The Definition of Project Creep

Heidi - 1988 BMW M5 - The piece of BMW history

Silvia - 2013 Subaru WRX - Stock, for now

I know I don't want it to look like this (sorry if this is anyone's personal car, nothing wrong with them just not what I'm going for....)

This one is just way to busy, and screens fiberglass aftermarket parts. It also looks very bloated and 'fat'.

wide_boy.jpg

Third image on google under "bmw 2002"
1970-bmw-2002-pic-2519.jpeg

A pic that shows the doors better.
IMG061161498633.jpg

Good to see the updates and I'm obviously jealous of your shop space. It gives me motivation to get back to working hard on my car again.

New M20 swap mounts when I get around to welding them up. I should make this font smaller because it may never happen...🙃

'71 2002 Restomod under the knife, 2012,...2018, 2019 it will run again! 2024? IDK

'74 260z K24 swap

Nice ewheel!  You'll get some good use out of that frame.  What anvils and upper wheel did you use, Hoosier Profile?

Thanks, yup the wheel and dies for the e-wheel and planishing hammer are both from Hoosier Profiles.

losing my mind.  I can't find a pic of that car to save my life.  so frustrated right now..  

best I could find.  its the car front and center...  not much help, I know.  Maybe someone else knows where to find better pics.  They are out there..

Third image on google under "bmw 2002"

1970-bmw-2002-pic-2519.jpeg

A pic that shows the doors better.

IMG061161498633.jpg

Good to see the updates and I'm obviously jealous of your shop space. It gives me motivation to get back to working hard on my car again.

Ooo Okay. That actually looks a lot better than I thought it would. I'm gonna have to see how that would work with extending up above the trim line. Thanks for the pics.

So I have some good news and some bad news. For the next month or two, I'm afraid progress on Fiona is going to slow down quite a lot. As much as it pains me to admit, the truth is I'm just not going to have that much time to devote to her.

That's the bad news. The good news has to do with what will be taking up a majority of my free time for the foreseeable future. 

Drum roll please.....

Meet Heidi, a 1988 E28 M5:

DSC_3411_DxO.jpg

DSC_3268_DxO.jpg

DSC_3396_DxO.jpg

DSC_3403_DxO.jpg

I won't get into to much detail in the thread, but she's a very original, very special car that needs some TLC. She sat for about 7 years before I picked her up last night. A few panels have some surface rust like the trunk edge you can see above, but there is nothing cancerous (thank god). The whole body is very solid, and I just need to start sorting out the mechanical systems to get her back on the road. 

Only 1344 E28 M5's were brought to the states, and '88 was the only year. Because of how rare they are, and how original this one is, it won't be the same type of crazy off the wall build that Fiona has been (and will continue to be). Heidi will be brought back to her former glory, and then driven hard like she was meant to be. This was the first super sedan ever made, and is a piece of BMW's history. I'm really very thankful to have it in my care, and I'll do my best to get her back to where she deserves to be.

Edited by tinkwithanr

Nice!! You definitely have more active projects than me! It seems like you have more time as well. Love the floor space. I am in the process of finishing a 1,500sqft workshop so that I can start a 2002 M3 SMG (donor car) transplant into my 1976 BMW 2002. Your metal fabrication work is very impressive! It has inspired me to step up my abilities, hopefully I'll get there. Great diaries on your projects, we all look forward to the next one!  

1976 BMW 2002 (in need of a transplant)

1973 Ford F350 crew cab (390' 4-speed)

1963 Ford (289' 5-speed)

2003 330i BMW ESS Supercharger (sold and sorely missed), 1998 BMW K1200RS (sold)

Can I now tell you that I hate you and wish I never saw this thread.. Thanks for making me the most envious person on this board

Not thanks,

Pete

Edit: that was jealousy talking! I've had the pleasure of driving a 27k mile e28 m5 and it changed my life. That car will bring you joy, no doubt.

Edited by peterman