• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can't pull tranny! Help!

Colin

I've got my tranny unbolted and totally free from the block (in the car) and its pulled back far enough to see the teeth on the flywheel. It rotates freely and wiggles like a loose tooth but I can't pull it out. I'm taking any suggestions!

if its in gear, rotate the output flange to help loosen the splines that go thru the clutch disc.

you've got to support the weight of the tranny when you pull rearward or there will be too much weight on the spline shaft to get it to slide out.

it could also be the throwout bearing is seized to the input shaft. you might get it to break free and slide by using a pry bar between the bell housing and the motor.

did u take off the dust shield on the lower front part of the tranny? the semi-circular piece?

72 2002tii

1988 535is  “Maeve”

when sliding out trani make sure the engine and trani stay level, one may tend to tilt when the weight is shifted.

FO 2573825

1971 2002, 5-OD, Recaro SE, BBK, 90Amp Alt, Turbines, VDO, Hellas, BD belts, LED Tails, 10 Foot DD

we've been trying to get the tranny out of my e30 for a year...same situation...it spins, shakes, wobbles, etc but will not slide back...

our last attempt, we actually broke off the bottom half of the bell housing so we could see inside...

we've tried everything including the above suggestions and the mother is stuck

Guest Anonymous

Keep the trans and engine aligned preventing binding of shaft and disk splines. Then using wedges or pry bars or jack screws evenly around the perimeter of the bell housing put slow pressure widening the gap between engine and housing. Don't wedge against the ring gear teeth or the pressure plate .... that might distort the balanced unit. The pilot bearing is probably stuck in the needle bearing cage and won't pop out. Its probably been in there a while and a lip has formed. The needle bearing cage will pop out when enough force is exerted. (Assuming you have the needle bearing style of pilot bearing.) The other type is a captured ball bearing race that won't pop out ... but the shaft should release without too much force.

.....all the above stuff plus :

remove the distributor cap and rotor

tilt/support the front of the motor UP/trans pointing down

at d-shaft end

turn the steering full lock to the right (or is that left?)

have a helper look down from the top to see if it's hanging up on

the very top of the firewall arch

now give it a smart yank back - catch IT!

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

.....all the above stuff plus :

remove the distributor cap and rotor

tilt/support the front of the motor UP/trans pointing down

at d-shaft end

turn the steering full lock to the right (or is that left?)

have a helper look down from the top to see if it's hanging up on

the very top of the firewall arch

now give it a smart yank back - catch IT!

+1

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,332922/highlight,/

Fishhead

----------------------

Motorcycle Big Brake systems

Be yourself and be free with your thoughts because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter..

What year car? Remember, the reason BMW changed to the smaller diameter pilot bearing (needle type) was because larger pilot bearing could not clear the clutch disc splined hub if/when the pilot got siezed on the trans input shaft. Try all the previous suggestions (there have been topics like this in the past, on how to get the trans out) but if none work, and you know you have the larger pilot bearing, then this is one remaining possible root cause.

Can you get it out far enough to access the clutch pressure

plate bolts? You might be able to get them out and pull eveything at once and then work on getting the cluch off???

I had trouble with a 5speed once that was hanging up on the streering linkage. I had to pull it and the headers to get the tranny out...

Good luck!

ClockWise MotorSports

'69 '02 Rat Rod O=00=O

'62 Chevy C10 w/SS 327

'63 Datsun 1200 pickup

'71 Datsun 510 Race Car

'70 Datsun Roadster

'78 Kawasaki KZ650 Street Cafe project

2010 Subby Forester (grocery getter)

I angled the motor tonight and pulled more. I think it moved, but not much. It looks like I can get to the bolts for the clutch so maybe I'll try taking those off. How far do I need to pull? I can't tell how close I am.

The bolts you need to remove are right on the face of the flywheel so you don't have much further to go... I'm not really too sure that will work out, but I guess it's worth a shot anyhow.

ClockWise MotorSports

'69 '02 Rat Rod O=00=O

'62 Chevy C10 w/SS 327

'63 Datsun 1200 pickup

'71 Datsun 510 Race Car

'70 Datsun Roadster

Don't laugh, but I ended up tying a rope to the back of the tranny and the other end to my girlfriend's corolla and pulled it out. It took a ridiculous amount of force to break it free. I couldn't believe how stuck on that damn thing was.

The good news is that its out and nothing, or anyone, was hurt in the process.

Thanks for all the tips!

Sweet! Are you sure you aren't from Arkansas??? LOL!!! That sounds like some serious hillbilly enginuity!!!

ClockWise MotorSports

'69 '02 Rat Rod O=00=O

'62 Chevy C10 w/SS 327

'63 Datsun 1200 pickup

'71 Datsun 510 Race Car

'70 Datsun Roadster