• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear suspension work on July 4th (updated 8/8/2010)

jgerock

I've been wanting to upgrade my car's suspension for several years and I finally got the nerve to do the rear (the easiest!) today.

I purchased (2) Bilstein HD shocks more than a year ago from BavAuto and also a nice set of slightly used H&R springs from Marshall Lytle.

The new shocks didn't come with any graphical type instructions, so I relied on my noggin' and then called Marshall for his advice on the upper mounting washers.

Here is what I started with (older picture after some good scrubbing). Stock springs and unknown brand shocks (Boge most likely)

pics42609009.jpg

I have no idea what these numbers stamped into the springs mean

pics42609012.jpg

Here are the springs after I cleaned them up

pics6262010022.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Right rear ride height before

pics742010003.jpg

Right side after the stock shock and spring were removed.

pics742010007.jpg

In order to remove the stock spring, you must unbolt the CV joint to let the trailing arm drop (thanks to Marshall for this tip).

The new shock and spring were installed after I removed and cleaned up the (2) spring pads and the mounting points. My car as the "1 dot" upper pads.

pics742010009.jpg

Here is the right side shock tower with the new mount and hardware

pics742010017.jpg

Here is the right rear after the installation. I bounced the car and rolled it a few times to help it settle.

pics742010020.jpg

Here is the left side which went much quicker than the right

pics742010010.jpg

Left rear afterward

pics742010019.jpg

Rear shot now with a high front end

pics742010018.jpg

Uh-oh - bad rear wheel cylinder?

pics742010008.jpg

Jim Gerock

Jim,

Nice work - now when you get them all in... please let me know how you like them. I have a set of 4 HDs sitting in my garage waiting for Horst... the front two came from Marshall at the swap meet in the spring. I purchased the rears at the recent June BavAuto sale.

-Marc

'73 2002 (Agave) - Horst

nice work Jim! when do you want to do the fronts?

could just be lots of brake dust in there that got wet? how old are the whell cyls? i think i have some good spares.

get the fuel pump changed too?

Thanks Marshall -

Your schedule for the shop will help determine when the front is tackled. I got the strut bearings last week from BLUNT. The wheel cylinders were last replaced in 2001 by a PO. I may try to get that fuel pump changed today (or sometime this week depending on work - you know the dreaded SAP stuff).

Jim Gerock

Jim,

Nice work - now when you get them all in... please let me know how you like them. I have a set of 4 HDs sitting in my garage waiting for Horst... the front two came from Marshall at the swap meet in the spring. I purchased the rears at the recent June BavAuto sale.

-Marc

Marc - a fresh set of HD's has got to be better than any old shocks. Will let you know how I like the ride. The rear shocks are kind of tricky to install after you get the top inserted into the tower. A jack was needed to raise the trailing arm enough to slip the shock onto the bottom mounting stud. My left side stud was replaced with a bolt/nut at one point.

Jim Gerock

Hey, your car looks just like mine. OK, maybe not JUST like it. The insides of your wheels are very clean.

Matt - I noticed your garage looks like mine (and you park on the same side). Congrats on the Malaga 72tii ownership. Have you cleaned up all the crazy fuel system screens yet?

Jim Gerock

Jim,

-Marc

Marc - a fresh set of HD's has got to be better than any old shocks. Will let you know how I like the ride. The rear shocks are kind of tricky to install after you get the top inserted into the tower. A jack was needed to raise the trailing arm enough to slip the shock onto the bottom mounting stud. My left side stud was replaced with a bolt/nut at one point.

how shot were the rear shocks when you took them out? even if dead, don't throw them away, may need them to hold the suspension on the purple people eater together when i pull the good stuff out!

next weekend for the fronts? i will have race car out by then and we can do it before the purple thing moves in for disection.

2xM3

how shot were the rear shocks when you took them out? even if dead, don't throw them away, may need them to hold the suspension on the purple people eater together when i pull the good stuff out!

next weekend for the fronts? i will have race car out by then and we can do it before the purple thing moves in for disection.

The old rear shocks are pretty good - you are welcome to install them on the Purple Haze.

Next Saturday is booked with family event - maybe Sunday or the following weekend?

Jim Gerock

I replaced the fuel pump, filter, and the rubber lines, but did not clean any screens. I only know of one, at the front of the KF pump. How many more are there?

Matt Haynes

72 Malaga 2002tii - Moes

81 Toyota Supra - Cellie

91 Alpinewies 325iC - Ilsa

07 Titansilber 530xi Sport Wagon

looks great but you need to take the stock bump stops out the hds have an internal one...... dont ask me how I know...

I was wondering about those stock bump stops. They are now about 4 inches away from the lower spring perch. Will there be any issues if I don't remove them? I don't plan on driving like the Duke Boys [or Eurotrash ;-)].

Jim Gerock

I replaced the fuel pump, filter, and the rubber lines, but did not clean any screens. I only know of one, at the front of the KF pump. How many more are there?

Starting from the rear:

1) Flat mesh screen at the fuel tank pickup (please ignore the sealant and temporary gasket - I installed the proper o-ring later)

Vintage2008Meet001.jpg

2) Cone shaped screen at the fuel pump inlet

fed70bae.jpg

c32a0c8f.jpg

1faf85e3.jpg

3) Canister fuel filter on front bulkhead (disposable)

4) Cylindrical mesh screen at the KF pump inlet bolt (under the banjo bolt).

pics81408016.jpg

5) Tiny cone shaped screen on the cold start valve inlet (new valves should come with a new screen already installed - mine did).

IMG_2310.jpg

Here is my old screen after cleaning

coldstartmeshfilter.jpg

Ultrasonic jewlery cleaner works wonderful

Ultrasoniccleaner.jpg

Also good to clean the pressure maintenance valve on the back of the KF pump

pressuremaintenancevalve.jpg

Jim Gerock