• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CENTER BEARING PAINS!

2002idiot

Here's a few hints to get you started:

Disclaimer: working under a vehicle is dangerous. Support the vehicle properly with jack stands and leave your jack in place for additional support. When taking your driveshaft out, keep in mind that your wheels should be chocked if any are still on the ground and the brake set and vehicle in gear. When you can't reach a bolt or a nut on the driveshaft, you can release the parking brake and take the car out of gear and rotate the driveshaft to get to them. This assumes the rear axle it already raised, so the entire drivetrain rotates. Note: Don't have the vehicle positioned in such a way that it will roll when the last bolts are removed from the shaft.

Get a thin 15/16" 12 point boxed end wrench for the center bearing. I found one from Autozone made by Great Neck that is perfect for this. Of course, they've changed tool distributors now, so hopefully they'll have something similar. You'll also need two 17mm boxed end wrenches. You'll need other tools of course, but I'm just pointing out tools that you'll need that maybe aren't common.

There's quite a bit of good knowledge already out there - some with pictures:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,342382/highlight,remove+driveshaft/

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,340380/highlight,replace+center+centre+bearing/

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,334584/highlight,remove+driveshaft/

Search for "remove driveshaft" and "replace center bearing" for more pics and text before you begin.

1-

remove exhaust pipe from downpipe back. You can just unhook

the flange and move it out of the way.

2-

wrap giubo with hose clamp and tighten a lot.

3-

remove 4 nuts from giubo

4-

remove 4 nuts from rear of driveshaft

5-

remove 2 nuts from center bearing. Catch driveshaft before it falls

6-

mark driveshaft for easy realignment.

7-

remove 1 nut from center of driveshaft.

8-

separate driveshaft and press off old center bearing

9-

press on new center bearing being careful to press on center race.

10-

reverse and reinstall

...what'd I miss?

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I've never had to do #2 on the list, so it may be optional? Or it may make the remove and replace go easier to put the hose clamp on.

If your car doesn't have a center bearing heat shield, it would be a good time to put one in upon reassembly. Realoem lists it as NLA, though.

26 11 1 205 001 may have to go with used through 2002ad or elsewhere. If you buy used, see if you can get the hardware too.

26 11 1 205 004 Square Headed Bolts for 74-76 models are longer for use with the heat shield

07 11 9 922 856 two regular M8 nuts

07 11 9 921 077 two thin lock nuts - M8

07 11 9 900 052 two washers

Also, when installing the driveshaft, you must preload the center bearing by pushing it forward 2 to 3 mm before tightening it down. Note the way the center bearing carrier is install before removal. I think the convex side of the rubber support points to the front of the car?

Write back after you change the center bearing and find the problem to be the guibo.

;-)

Cheers,

Ray

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Write back after you change the center bearing and find the problem to be the guibo.

;-)

Cheers,

Ray

Yup. I raised my '02 to inspect the center bearing. When I tried to go on a drive last weekend it sounded like it was shot. It was, but the cause was a guibo shredded to pieces.

HarryPR

BMWCCA #19290