• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

desmog wiring help

rdeeble

i have a 76 which I just desmoged however I must of done something incorrect plugging the wiring back as now it wont start. I am a totally newbie to electrical so any help would be appreciated?

'76 02 (Nellie) daily driver since '94

'76 02 (Oscar) sunroof restore since '10

well, without knowing what you did... it's hard to know what you did wrong.

I also have a '76 which I have partially desmogged. I say partially because I have removed the airpump, EGR valve, Thermo-reactor manifold, and disconnected all vacuum going to the 4 solenoids on the firewall and plugged the ports on the manifold with vacuum caps. So, while I have not made any electrical disconnections yet, because of too little time already getting split into too many directions at once, the smog gear is totally disconnected from the motor. I have looked over the various electrical disconnections though and haven't seen anything that I cannot simply 'cap off', though admittedly, that's yet to be proven.

Check for any wiring you may have disturbed around the coil or the dizzy. Be sure the starter/solenoid wiring is intact and tight.

Look for any loose, disconnected wiring and use a DMM (digital multimeter) to see if any of them are 'live'. I'm running a Crane electronic ignition, but if you're not, be sure the condenser is tightly connected and well grounded.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

Check the #12 fuse, (i think) this is the fuse for the fuel cut off solenoid on the carb. I found this out when that fuse blew and I didn't have my main idle circuit, this made the car all but impossible to start without having the throttle half way down. Hope this help ya!

Nathan

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

• 2 weeks later...

The PO did a good job of De-smogging mine in San Fran because after I started tinkering, the smog light came on up on the dash. He must have figured out how to fool the system so as to not have the warning light on all the damn time!

Call me Daniel'son, I just can't leave well enough alone.

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

Isn't the EGR light just a service interval light? I thought I read that you need to locate the 'black box' which lives 3/4 of the way down the speedo cable (under the car) and just press a button on it to reset the switch. The light will then remain off until the next service interval (determined by speedo cable rotation).

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

If it is anything like my '74, after you remove all the smog wiring you need to run a single wire from the fuse box to the positive post on the coil.[/quote]

Really? I simply removed the vac tubing and capped off the manifold and carb base (32/36 here), ran a separate vac tube to the dizzy (vac advance), pulled the solenoids and taped off their electrical connectors. I did nothing to the two relays located on the firewall.

The car runs fine and I've put 150 miles on it since.

What is the single wire for? I have the Crane Box, does that mitigate the need to add this wire?

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

Isn't the EGR light just a service interval light? I thought I read that you need to locate the 'black box' which lives 3/4 of the way down the speedo cable (under the car) and just press a button on it to reset the switch. The light will then remain off until the next service interval (determined by speedo cable rotation).

Cheers!

hm. I hadn't looked into it. I'll check it out. Although my car is a converted automatic and I don't recall seeing that box.

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

If it is anything like my '74, after you remove all the smog wiring you need to run a single wire from the fuse box to the positive post on the coil.[/quote]

Really? I simply removed the vac tubing and capped off the manifold and carb base (32/36 here), ran a separate vac tube to the dizzy (vac advance), pulled the solenoids and taped off their electrical connectors. I did nothing to the two relays located on the firewall.

The car runs fine and I've put 150 miles on it since.

What is the single wire for? I have the Crane Box, does that mitigate the need to add this wire?

Cheers!

If you remove the entire smog system wiring loom (usually blue, though mine was a tan color) then you need to add a positive switched wire the the coil (and one to the choke if yours is electric and one to the cutoff solenoid if you have one).

Look here for a picture of what you can remove: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/content/view/18/32/

74 Golf