• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M2 madness

M3M3

Forgive me if this has been said somewhere in the thread, but what kind of basketweaves are you using on the street Mr. Marshall, euroweaves?

They look fantastic!

They worked out mighty fine when I borrowed them for the recent NCC AutoX. I will put them on my wish list.

DSC_1450.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Forgive me if this has been said somewhere in the thread, but what kind of basketweaves are you using on the street Mr. Marshall, euroweaves?

They look fantastic!

They worked out mighty fine when I borrowed them for the recent NCC AutoX. I will put them on my wish list.

Your interior set-up for auto-x looks an awful lot like my current ghetto set up of a beat E21 Recaro and stock passenger seat. Although I assume you're borrowing one of Marshall's Recaros, in which case is not beat.

Sorry to derail your thread Marshall, continue on with that buzzy S14 goodness. By the way, I think I'm going to miss those diving boards on your car, it really pulls them off well. Are you going with a short or long rear bumper?

Alex
-'75 2002 with M42

-Spec E30

-'91 318is

Jim's seat combo was not that bad...nor was it mine. however...as of today he should have a beautiful, and coordinated, recaro seat setup for his tii. I am sure Jim will post up what it looks like!

I am going to miss the diving boards. they really make the "stealth" look work on track. there are also great for jumping up and down on to settle the rear spring perches after jacking up the car.

alas, i will try the roundie bumpers....i can always go back when I need a bumper that actually provides some protection. rears will be the long version. hides the holes on the side of a square tail better.

2xM3

Needs CF hood and decklid.

;-)

Jim's seat combo was not that bad...nor was it mine. however...as of today he should have a beautiful, and coordinated, recaro seat setup for his tii. I am sure Jim will post up what it looks like!

I am going to miss the diving boards. they really make the "stealth" look work on track. there are also great for jumping up and down on to settle the rear spring perches after jacking up the car.

alas, i will try the roundie bumpers....i can always go back when I need a bumper that actually provides some protection. rears will be the long version. hides the holes on the side of a square tail better.

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

i will see your "needs a 4.10" and raise you "it's getting a 4.44"!

will have to push the CF hood and trunk to next winter...too much already for this winter.

you can never have too many Diffs.....so i decided to add a 4.44 to the mix

2012-12-05_19-20-40_251.jpg

it is actually a small case E30 open diff out of a race car. the "open" function had been welded. only thing i wanted was the 4.44 ring and pinion. looked well maintained.

the guts

2012-12-05_19-20-53_382.jpg

2012-12-05_19-22-21_71.jpg

my plan is to put the 4.44 gearset in my 50% lock e21 3.91 track diff. very handy that Ace just posted an faq on taking apart diffs.....

2xM3

when in doubt, destructively take something apart!

needed a "practice round" with the innards of a diff and the transfer of a ring and pinion. grabbed the uglier of the stock 3.64 open diffs outside the shop and Jim and i dug into it. sure does not take long to field strip a diff with two guys and power tools!

2012-12-08_16-02-17_391.jpg

first casualty was the seal puller. the nose grease seal won the battle with the harbor frieght tool

2012-12-08_15-59-36_433.jpg

ultimate goal is moving the 4.44 R&P, so we then took apart the e30 small case diff it was in. easier! this diff had obviously been rebuilt before it was put in the race car. R&P, seals and bearings all looked new! unfortunately the inner bearing cage on the pinion did not survive the operation.

4.44 pinion a lot smaller than a 3.64!

2012-12-08_16-02-56_182.jpg

e30 pinion shaft uses different splines than an 02 did.

2012-12-08_16-01-59_633.jpg

gotta order some parts before taking apart the good 3.91 to swap the R&P to 4.44.

then did prep work for bumper change. took old bracket off the candidate bumpers and cleaned them up a bit. got some new carriage bolts to put them back together with.

2012-12-08_16-47-13_487.jpg

2xM3

not an "upgrade" but needed repair..

it was a nice day saturday and we had an afternoon holiday office party at the boss's house to go to. convinced wife we should take the M2. being a sport, she went allong with a ride in the old loud car while all dressed up. even got through the "harness" buckling up process. but then the heat didn't work. ooops.

detective work afterwards showed hot water before the heater valve and cold water after the valve, no matter where the valve lever was. took valve out. sure enough, the plastic innards had broken in the closed position. pulled my good spare out of storage and installed it. of course, the plastic heater box bracket the valve attaches to came apart. used a thin metal plate to sandwich the remaining plastic from the mount to hold the valve on.

broken mount

2012-12-16_11-45-56_602.jpg

reinforcing plate

2012-12-16_11-46-09_242.jpg

plate mounting

2012-12-16_12-02-11_191.jpg

"new" valve installed. replaced old hose "stub" connecting it to heater box while i was in there.

2012-12-16_12-58-50_780.jpg

have heat again! and works much smoother......

2xM3

xmas presents for the M2 are starting to arrive. two boxes from Andrew at IE today...

Willwood brakes front and rear.

1355790937652.jpg

2012-12-17_19-34-34_245.jpg

looking forward to weighing the wilwood setup compared to the Volvo/320 setup I have now. hopefully less unsprung weight.

custom modified tii struts and DA Koni's should be shipping from Ground Control tomorrow.

2xM3

started playing with the front bumper install. assembled bumper with some SS carriage bolts, removed diving board and test fit the early style. will require some tweaking to get the alignment right.

DSCN5988_zps3ae63603.jpg

for those wondering....

early bumper with anton kit mount is 15.6lbs.

diving board with mounts is 39lbs.

about 24lbs saved...yeah!

DSCN5989_zpsbba9de63.jpg

then mocked up the airdam install

DSCN5990_zps61f4b028.jpg

going need to cut some metal behind the brake duct holes for the hoses to get clear path to the brakes.

2xM3

did some test fitting of the new front brakes. bolted the calipers to a spare tii strut.

DSCN5979_zps0d000c29.jpg

DSCN5978_zps8019f128.jpg

then test mounted three different sets of 15in et25 wheels to the strut to check for caliper clearance.

rota rb's...no problem

DSCN5983_zps37daae7e.jpg

DSCN5980_zpsef2cbcf3.jpg

DSCN5982_zps2557c41e.jpg

euroweaves...no problem

DSCN5984_zps227274c6.jpg

DSCN5986_zps2a08dac5.jpg

DSCN5985_zps801ab958.jpg

also did a set of d-force wheels...no pics, but fit fine.

2xM3

Hey, not bad with the shiny bumper and that airdam. Looks familiar!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/raykoke/IMG_0001.jpg

Note my apparent bent bumper bracket (or the whole car is tweaked!).

Those bumpers are cosmetic anyway. Sure you want to run one?

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

yes. in a few months i will have a lot of good stuff for sale. :-)

complete front and rear brake system for street/track

-rebuilt and painted volvo front calipers

-multiple sets of basically new rotors

-320 hubs

-multiple sets of good and new bearings

-street pads metal master and porterfield R4S

-track pads porterfield R4 and performance friction 01

-320i rear brake system

-all parts only 3k miles

-street shoes porterfield R4S

-track shoes porterfield R4

-tii master cyl

front suspension parts (already someone in line for these)

-GC powder coated front struts

-Koni SA strut inserts.

not going to close any sales though until i get the new stuff on my car. will advertise when the time comes.

2xM3